What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem Rivet

Ebeswick

6fvb00.jpg

The problem rivet connects the E-901 skin, E-913 Counterweight Skin, E-902 Spar, and E-903 Rib together. After drilling out my first unsatisfactory rivet (which I now realize I should have left in place), the dimple on the inside E-903 rib was distorted. I then decided to drill a size up (#30) to insert an AN426AD-4 rivet in hopes of removing part of the damaged dimple. I then riveted the AN426AD-4 rivet in place, and the above picture is what I found.

There is a relatively sizable crack extending from the top of the dimple outward (can be seen in the mirror). My question is what should I do next? Unfortunately there isn't space to add another hole in this location. I'm afraid an order of replacement parts may be in my near future.

Thanks for your help.

Ethan

6fvb00.jpg

The problem rivet connects the E-901 skin, E-913 Counterweight Skin, E-902 Spar, and E-903 Rib together. After drilling out my first unsatisfactory rivet (which I now realize I should have left in place), the dimple on the inside E-903 rib was distorted. I then decided to drill a size up (#30) to insert an AN426AD-4 rivet in hopes of removing part of the damaged dimple. I then riveted the AN426AD-4 rivet in place, and the above picture is what I found.

There is a relatively sizable crack extending from the top of the dimple outward (can be seen in the mirror). My question is what should I do next? Unfortunately there isn't space to add another hole in this location. I'm afraid an order of replacement parts may be in my near future.

Thanks for your help.

Ethan

Add a doubler angle along the rib?

After contacting Vans regarding a potential fix, I was advised to leave the problem rivet as is, and add another rivet in the line between the problem rivet and the rivet next to it.

I'm not entirely comfortable with this fix, so new parts may be ordered soon. Thoughts?

Thanks for your consideration.

Ethan

Vans advise

After contacting Vans regarding a potential fix, I was advised to leave the problem rivet as is, and add another rivet in the line between the problem rivet and the rivet next to it.

I'm not entirely comfortable with this fix, so new parts may be ordered soon. Thoughts?

Thanks for your consideration.

Ethan

If Vans gave the advise, I would go with it but, I would add a doubler as Gil mentioned then add the extra rivet. That way the doubler would be over the cracked dimple and provide a little extra support.

Thank You

Gil and Larry-

I really appreciate the advice. I will plan to add a doubler along the rib, along with another rivet.

VAF is truly an invaluable resource.

Best,
Ethan

Apology

to Wirejock, but to install the doubler, you have to drill out the questionable rivet yet again, right. I would follow Van's advice, and just add the additional rivet - and move on.

Best regards,

Merrill

Rivet

to Wirejock, but to install the doubler, you have to drill out the questionable rivet yet again, right. I would follow Van's advice, and just add the additional rivet - and move on.

Best regards,

Merrill

Apology? I'm no expert.
Yes, good point and maybe probably why Vans said to leave it and add the additional rivet.
You're correct.

Last edited:
Back