-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:29 PM

There are excellent folding wing designs for cantilevered low-wing designs. Look at U.S. WW II carrier aircraft for examples. Pull a pin or flip a lever and push the wing back.

As I mentioned above, the RV-12 has better visibility than any, repeat any, of the high-wing aircraft that I've flown, and I've flown a bunch of them. So it can quite clearly be accomplished. Still, if you really want good visibility, the engine can't be in your line of sight, although the RV-12 does a pretty decent job of making that a non-factor.

I'll add ease of entry and exit, since that's a valid point.

Personally, I wouldn't expect that Van's would have a 120 mph kit for sale unless it were something to broaden their entry into the LSA market, such as tandem or taildragger RV-12 derivative. The sort of airplane that's been debated in this thread accepts those speeds but probably would not be in that current weight class. As has been pointed out, there's a lot of competition is that Supercub class. If it came from Van's, I'd expect a faster cruise speed.

Dave
Old 10-27-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
Add for high wing:

4. Easier to get into and out of, and load/unload.

5. Sit in the shade both in the air and outside on the ground.

6. Less risk of getting trapped upside down if it flips in a crash.

7. Ability to enter and exit the aircraft in heavy rain without getting drowned...or getting the interior soaked. An advantage not to be underestimated.

8. Vastly superior wing clearance in off-field or forced landings.

Personally I don't think a low wing aircraft ticks the crucial boxes for a bush plane. I would be very surprised if Vans would design such a folly.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 10-27-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:03 PM

Van's is sitting and waiting for the new LSA rules..............

Van, make it tall enough to walk under the wing and not get the Cessna forehead tattoo.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID

Last edited by gasman : 10-27-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:10 AM

Default Speed is key

Vans has a winner with the RV9 in the sense that is has a slow stall speed but a high cruise speed. I hope Vans doesnt change this total performance. But a tall gear is fine except if it slows the plane down, I would take the higher cruise and the “Cessna Stars” anyday. Just gotta learn to duck.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 35% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memberberries View Post
I'm not a fan of the Rotax 915 at 37k for 141hp at 186lbs. Thats big motor money for one that really doesn't do a whole lot more than say a UL350is at 22K for 130hp at 173lb. Unless you're at high DA and need the forced induction. Too spendy a powerplant for my budget.
The main advantage to the turbo is getting to keep that 141hp up to cruise altitude and having a fuel efficient motor when you get there. If we are comparing apples to apples with a RV-9 with a brand new IO-320, I don't think the cost delta will be that large.

The UL power engines are very impressive. When I picked the RV-12is project, the other choice for me was a Zenith 750 cruiser with the UL 350. I like the idea of a modern ECU controlled purpose built engine.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:40 AM

Its got to be a metric plane😬 throws hand grenade and runs.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:05 AM

John S, according to that table https://vansairforce.net/community/s...mparison+table speed ratio wise places the -9 in 3rd position...

-3B with 4.06
-4 with 3.93
-9 with 3.92
-8 with 3.81
Etc.

All those being taildraggers.
The worst of all, a nose dragger:
-12 with 2.96

As a personal note, I’m no fan of the -9, but having a speed ratio as large as possible for a future aircraft will always be a plus.
Looking at the history of Van’s models, the contrary is happening...

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder

Last edited by DeeCee 57 : 11-05-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Default RV-8 Plus

Having just gone through the process of engine selection for my RV-8, I selected the IO-390 despite cons of weight, forward cg, etc,etc....however, I do not appear to be alone as others on this forum are also going through this process of engine selection. I just had an epiphany! What if Van’s developed an RV-8 “plus” kit to help offset some of the cons associated with using this engine. Maybe a shorter engine mount, cowl mods, other ways to move the cg aft that would restore the good handling of the O/IO-360 equipped 8’s. I am already making adjustments to help with cg like aft mounted battery, Sky Designs alum gear (saves 15 lbs), Hartzell composite prop (Saves 10-15 lbs), anything else that might help. I believe Van’s might have a market for this.

RV-3B Flying
Wagabond Flying
RV-8 Tail completed, QB Fuselage in progress
Old 11-06-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYOUNG View Post
Having just gone through the process of engine selection for my RV-8, I selected the IO-390 despite cons of weight, forward cg, etc,etc....however, I do not appear to be alone as others on this forum are also going through this process of engine selection. I just had an epiphany! What if Van’s developed an RV-8 “plus” kit to help offset some of the cons associated with using this engine. Maybe a shorter engine mount, cowl mods, other ways to move the cg aft that would restore the good handling of the O/IO-360 equipped 8’s. I am already making adjustments to help with cg like aft mounted battery, Sky Designs alum gear (saves 15 lbs), Hartzell composite prop (Saves 10-15 lbs), anything else that might help. I believe Van’s might have a market for this.
I would be first in line for this.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:18 AM

Default UL Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by huse0054 View Post
I would be first in line for this.
Why not use the latest UL520 turbo - 220hp, IO-320 weight - what's not to like?