What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpled too soon on Vertical Stab?

djohns

I marked the location off with tape like the plans say to do on the skin but not on the rib flanges. Of course proceeded to dimple the flanges. The parts are cheap enough and shipping no bad on small parts so I could reorder.

My question is will this bite me when I go to do the faring. It looks like the holes still get dimpled.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 85
I don't see any issues, those are for nutplates that gets installed later and match drilling the fairing, built on.

Dimpled holes

I would dimple them. It's not unusual to use fewer holes for the fairing. Dimpled holes can be riveted more easily. If they are to be used, most likely they will be drilled up to #6 or #8 hardware and the dimple will be removed. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
I marked the location off with tape like the plans say to do on the skin but not on the rib flanges. Of course proceeded to dimple the flanges. The parts are cheap enough and shipping no bad on small parts so I could reorder.

My question is will this bite me when I go to do the faring. It looks like the holes still get dimpled.

You can flatten them (once only) or leave them and fill with a rivet if you choose not to use that location (like Wirejock says) or you can use cs nutplates to fit the dimple. You'll be CS the empennage fairing later for the screw.

I would flatten them. Mainly because this will make it easier to see the light, which may get distorted from the dimple, when you blind drill them. Also it may be a little bit more accurate with a smaller hole, #40ish. A dimpled #40 is usually enlarged to about 37ish when dimpled. Flattening will tighten it up but not back to #40. That hole will eventually get drilled to #27 so most of the dimpled/undimpled material gets drilled out anyway. Like mentioned, only One re-do on flattening dimples. Page 12-11 for reference.

Back