What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upset training

flyguy61

While this has nothing to do with RVs or kit building, I think it should be part of continuing pilot education. I just completed the first stage of UPSET training and i learned a ton. Never mind how much fun I had. If you fly you should have upset training. I would highly recommend Specialized Aero Works in Bend, Oregon. Mike Kloch did a great job. The Super Decathalon is a joy to fly. Here is the link. https://www.specializedaeroworks.com/. You won't regret the extra training.

I?ve heard great things as well. Seems like very valuable training and I plan to get that as well.

I agree! Real, concerted upset recovery training should be a much bigger part of every pilot's recurrent training syllabus. I made the trip to fly with Patty Wagstaff and her instructors in St. Augustine, Florida. I flew a total of 10 hours with Alan, Spencer, and Patty. (I don't have to tell you who Patty Wagstaff is, and Spencer is Spencer Suderman of spin world records and many years of airshow performances.) All three of them are extraordinary instructors. They know well that the learning stops when the fun does, so they keep it fun!

Incidentally, Patty acquired an RV-6A for personal use, so she might be willing to give some RV specific guidance.

Upset?

CP Aviation at Santa Paula Airport (KSZP) has a great Emergency Maneuver Training course that?s very well thought of.

Specialized Aero Works

I had considered going to Florida and get training with Patty and her crew. I figured there was no way to go wrong with that choice. I heard about Mike Kloch online and when I contacted him, I met a man trying to get a business started. Mike is very experienced and designed a first rate Upset training course. I was impressed with how Mike laid out the course so that I knew what was being covered each day and what the expectations were. The professionalism and dedication are first rate. You will not be disappointed with Specialized Aero Works, and supporting a startup small business is always a great thing.

Thanks for sharing - I just came back over the hill from Bend last night but have a place over there (Sunriver) so will look Mike up and get some time with him soon.

Back