What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Favorite airport near OSH for AirVenture

Arlen

Well Known Member
I've searched but can't find a thread answering this question:

If your flying partner does not want to park the plane and stay on the OSH airfield, what is your favorite nearby airport for that week and why?

KMSN in Madison,WI.

Cheap hotels and able to cancel if you don't make it.

Easy drive to KOSH.

Of course Appleton is better, but you need to plan that further out to get the hotels.

Green Bay

Last time I visited was 2009. Flew into Green Bay. Stayed at the Microtel/ $50 per night (during AirVenture week!) The shuttle bus to KOSH was two blocks from hotel. The shuttle bus goes in a different entrance and drops you off close to the activity. No waiting in a half mile line of cars and parking a mile from the activity. You are going to do enough walking anyway, skip the extra two miles. Your feet will thank you.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

We've only done Fond du Lac besides OSH. It's very convenient with shuttle service to OSH and priced reasonable to park your plane.

I have done Appleton a couple of times. Very easy in and park. There are shuttle buses directly to OSH. I stayed at a B&B in Appleton so rented a car in the terminal which is about 100 ft walk from the FBO where the van drops/picks you up. All is very easy, and well organized.

Everything is great except that your plane is located out in the field in the middle of the airport. It requires a van to take you out to your plane. I find it very inconvienent in the middle of OSH week when I want to check on my plane or drop something off. Especially like to check my plane if a storm rolled though and I just want to make sure it is still tied down. It is a couple hour ordeal to wait for a shuttle, go to your plane, do what you need to do, wait for a return shuttle, get back to the FBO.

This is even worse when wanting to leave in a hurry. Both times there I was leaving with storms in the area. You can't go out to your plane to wait for a break since there is no shelter out in the field. You need to wait in the FBO and it makes timing a departure difficult due to process of getting out to your plane. I was lucky both times to see a break in the radar, get in van, get to plane, load plane, preflight, airport opened to VFR, take-off and out before next wave of Wisconsin storms came by. I could easily been caught for hours sitting in the FBO.

In short, loved Appleton just do not like the access to plane. It is not easy like you get staying on the field at OSH.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Anyone else got an opinion?

Anybody use a great Airbnb.com home in that area?

Bernard 79c north of Oshkosh. No fees . Shuttle to college dorms in Oshkosh. Small airport good service. They even stored my fan for next year's airventure

I used to stay at Wautoma (Y50) about 30 miles west of OSH. Nice little airport, camping is available on the field but we always stayed at hotels in town and reserved a rental car several months in advance that was waiting for us at Y50 when we arrived. We'd fly back and forth to OSH daily except when the weather was bad, then having the rental car was a Godsend... especially during Sloshkosh 2009. The hotels in town also ran a daily bus service to/from Oshkosh.

Last edited:
Back