What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dent in empennage

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
Hi,

I have discovered a dent / deflection on my empennage. This is a flying airplane (70+ hours) that just went into the paint shop. I am trying to gauge the severity and what, if anything, I should do about it. The painter says no big deal, he can make it go away. But is it a structural issue I should address?

It is a little difficult to see in the real and less so in photo. I attach several photos.
- Location: I outlined the area with marker and brackets. The dots are marker as well.
- Deflection: This photo is probably the best view of the skin distortion – towards the bottom left of the photo. There is no matching distortion on the right side, leading me to believe hangar rash as the cause rather than a flying issue (and I have no recollection of this occurring....).
- Detail: I tried to show how big a deflection. While the Deflection photo shows a clear change in the surface, a straight edge across the deflection does not show the difference in the photo. With the eye, there is a faint glimmer from behind the rule but not shown on the photo. I am guessing a couple of thousands is the depth of the valley.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Attachments

• Location.png
    Location.png
    662.1 KB · Views: 563
  • deflection.png
    deflection.png
    381.7 KB · Views: 475
  • detail.png
    detail.png
    642.2 KB · Views: 488
Agree that's not a structural issue. But if you want to avoid filler, you could have a paintless dent removal guy come out and massage it.

During the extrusion/milling process the sheet is squeezed between a series of rollers - this "dent" is an artifact of a flat spot in one or more of the rollers.

It happens more frequently than you might suspect. FWIW I had a similar defect show up in the top fuselage skin of my RV-7 (Kit circa 2015).

You can dress it out with scotchbright green pad and paint it...

B

Thanks all! On a parallel track, I had emailed/talked to Vans support and they also concluded it was a cosmetic issue.

Back