What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shrink Tube Label Printing

Another option, should your printer break, is to print whatever you are using as the wire nomenclature (ie EFIS, 1-1, A12232, etc) out on a sheet of paper at a small pitch (6 to 8 IIRC), cut them out and slip them under a piece of clear shrink tubing on the wire. That's what I did, it's cheap, and it works great, even on 22AWG wires.

Another option, should your printer break, is to print whatever you are using as the wire nomenclature (ie EFIS, 1-1, A12232, etc) out on a sheet of paper at a small pitch (6 to 8 IIRC), cut them out and slip them under a piece of clear shrink tubing on the wire. That's what I did, it's cheap, and it works great, even on 22AWG wires.

It is "fiddly" but does work well -

wire-label-20-g.jpg

I bought a Rhino heat shrink label maker because it would be easier - however, after it chewed up and detroyed the last two almost unused $30 cartridges I am considering going back to the clear shribk tube method...

I've done that in the past, just thought this would be quicker and perhaps a bit neater.

We used one of the dedicated tubing printers on Tsam, and it looks great - but the cartridges are so expensive, and there is a LOT of waste on each end of the labels (even when you print a string of them). Next time, I think I'd go back to paper labels and clear tubing.

Second the K-Sun Bee3 printer...It was quick, worked great, and made a neat job. The printer is inexpensive (the cartridges aren't :( ), but I never had any trouble with it...

The Panduit LS8E does not waste any tube front and back like some of them do. I used a different brand in the past that would waste an inch on both ends! I think it was an older KROY unit.

Some of these folks will give you the printer if you buy so much tube. I think they use the inkjet printer marketing model....make the money off of the cartridges!

Last edited:
The Rhino wastes about 3/8" on each end unless you use the back-to-back printing trick.

In general, I am more than happy with the results that I would do it again.

Next time, I think I'd go back to paper labels and clear tubing.

Paul - so that is how you will fill your retirement ;)

We used one of the dedicated tubing printers on Tsam, and it looks great - but the cartridges are so expensive, and there is a LOT of waste on each end of the labels (even when you print a string of them). Next time, I think I'd go back to paper labels and clear tubing.

Yes... and it's even more annoying if the machine destroys that expensive cartridge after 2 or 3 inchs of the 5 ft have been used...:mad:

Yes... and it's even more annoying if the machine destroys that expensive cartridge after 2 or 3 inchs of the 5 ft have been used...:mad:

Being frugal required that I learned to repair them. The only real problem I had with the Rhino cartridges was the ribbon breaking. That's a pretty simple fix, but sometimes is a pain in the rear since you have to take the cartridge out after every label. I wasn't about to lose 4' of shrink tube. Out of the dozen or so cartridges I used, I think I only had problems with three of them.

bob

Last edited:
Bummer about the cartridge problems. I may jinx things but thus far I have not had any problems. I have been switching back and forth across three different sizes.

Being frugal required that I learned to repair them. The only real problem I had with the Rhino cartridges was the ribbon breaking. That's a pretty simple fix, but sometimes is a pain in the rear since you have to take the cartridge out after every label. I wasn't about to lose 4' of shrink tube. Out of the dozen or so cartridges I used, I think I only had problems with three of them.

bob

My problem was a bit different I think. After cutting the printer sometimes left the cut end a little short at the cartridge. When you did the next print the tape jammed up inside the printer because it caught on the edge of the cartridge. After pulling the mess out of the printer it was beyond fixing...:mad:

I have now started to open it up after every print job and pull the tape a fraction more out so it doesn't catch. Seems to work so far but is a pain in the a**....:rolleyes:

Brady BMP21

Another printer worth taking a look at is the Brady BMP21. I have a friend that uses its big brother for work and highly recommends it. He said the unit is very reliable and the labels last even in some not so friendly environments. This is the labeler that I am planning on using. I don?t know how the label pricing compares to other units and the quality of the other tape. After taking all this time to do the labeling the last thing I want is to find out down the road is that my labels came off or are unreadable.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
www.BradyID.com/bmp21

The Dymo Rhino 4200 will print perpendicularly to the tape so its easy to wrap even thin gauge wires with. Cheap and works well.

Bob, are you using heat shrink tubing labels or the adhesive cable wrap labels? I have seen both used but have not talked with anyone about their experiences with the cable wrap style labels.

K-Sun also

I have a slightly different (but functionally identical) model KSun, and really like it. No, the cartridges are not cheap, but that goes for just about everything else on the plane as well. ;)
I bought a roll of the wrap around style labels for use on existing wires where I could not slide on the heatshrink, but they start to unwind pretty quickly. Perhaps they would do better on a larger diameter line.

Bob, are you using heat shrink tubing labels or the adhesive cable wrap labels? I have seen both used but have not talked with anyone about their experiences with the cable wrap style labels.

Just wrapping regular labels. Their labels are solvent-proof so the print wont wipe off.

Durability?

How do the two methods (print on heatshrink tubing and clear heatshrink over standard labeling) stand up over time to fuel/oil spills and heat?

Does the lettering fade on the print on tubing?
Does the clear over regular labels leak?
Does the clear heat shrink discolor over time due to heat/fuel exposure?

Paul, what have you noticed on Tsam?

How do the two methods (print on heatshrink tubing and clear heatshrink over standard labeling) stand up over time to fuel/oil spills and heat?

Does the lettering fade on the print on tubing?
Does the clear over regular labels leak?
Does the clear heat shrink discolor over time due to heat/fuel exposure?

Paul, what have you noticed on Tsam?

I used the Rhino print on heat shrink. After 3 years it is still very legible, including those that are firewall foreward.

No experience with clear over regular labels.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Brady printer

Try the Brady Printer. I used it and it worked great. About 150.00 for the heat shrink labels (3 rolls) for the airplane but well worth it.

Hey Gil

I like your wire ties, a clove hitch with a square knot?;)
It is "fiddly" but does work well -

wire-label-20-g.jpg

I bought a Rhino heat shrink label maker because it would be easier - however, after it chewed up and detroyed the last two almost unused $30 cartridges I am considering going back to the clear shribk tube method...

Last edited:
label printer review ?

David-aviator,

Have you tried out your label printer yet? Just curious how you like.

Doug
RV-7
Wiring

The Dymo works

My problem was a bit different I think. After cutting the printer sometimes left the cut end a little short at the cartridge. When you did the next print the tape jammed up inside the printer because it caught on the edge of the cartridge. After pulling the mess out of the printer it was beyond fixing...:mad:

I have now started to open it up after every print job and pull the tape a fraction more out so it doesn't catch. Seems to work so far but is a pain in the a**....:rolleyes:

I solved my problem.

I wasn't pushing the cartridge hard enough into the printer. It needs quite a bit of force in my printer to get the cartridge to "click" and be seated properly.

Now I've worked this out, my last 5 ft of 1/4 inch shrink tube printed perfectly...:)

Back