What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Day in Boone Iowa this Saturday!!!

clevtool

Well Known Member
Are you guys going to have your display set up again?

Can we pick up orders and save freight?

Any show specials? ;)

Is this event primarily for fly-in participants, or can an interested RV wannabe drive down and drool at RVs for the day? Does it require an RSVP, or just show up?

Absolutely for newbies and wannabes, that is why the event started (before the Internet groups existed) to share ideas and get builders in touch with each other. RSVP not required.

We will have a display of new items and we will be running back to our shop a few blocks away to pick things up. If you would like to preorder we can have it waiting for you. We can discuss tax options for out of state customers at the event.

I hate to bring this up, but Buzz will be noticeably absent this year as well as Keith's wife who passed away last November. Buzz is in a nursing home with the end stages of dementia. I thought that perhaps the more people know ahead of time the less explaining has to be done and the easier it will be on DJ and I. It is hard to be in an environment where his life was so engrained. Rvers are like family to us and I suppose it is like going to the annual family reunion without bringing dad (on father's day weekend no less). I was blessed to work with him each day for nearly 20 years.

[]

Mike,

I am sorry to hear about your father and also Keith's wife too. Boone has been so valueable over the years. I remember driving there back when RV's were few and far between. Internet was non existent, so the chance to view other quality planes was a real help. That was long before pre-punch or quick build. The flavor of the event has changed over the years, but it is still a lot of fun to fly in and visit friends.

Steve Ciha

I've thought of Buzz every time I've backriveted a rivet. He showed me (and others, of course) how to do it at the RV at Oshkosh when I was first getting going 10 years ago (and I'm still working on the thing).

We leave a lot of tentacles wrapped around people we don't really know in our time on this planet and that's just one that Buzz left and I'll always appreciate it and I'm sorry to hear about his condition and wish you all the best.

Mike

I was curious as to how many RV's do you generally get to show up? Realizing the weather plays a huge part of your turn out. I am trying to decide wether to drive down on saturday?

Looks like a beautiful morning here. I have not looked at the forecast for the surrounding area. We have as many as 50 Rv's on a good day. There is at least one -9 project in the hangar as well as many others. There are a couple rag and tube projects for those interested.

I appreciate the memoirs of Buzz.

I just talked to Keith and he said the biggest turnout was '05 with about 80 RV's and over 100 total planes. Weather looks to be perfect and field conditions are 100% better than last years soggy mess.

Pretty thin... I rode over with Jim B. in his V35; we went IFR and we got lucky to get in at BNW. At the time we got there ceilings were at least a couple hundred feet below MDA on the GPS approach. there was a hole that let us see the runway and drop down. There were a lot of attendees that drove over but not much else. I heard that a couple of Cubs came in around mid-morning but left pretty quickly because of concern about weather. Later in the morning a couple of RV-8s flew in.

But... great food, great people and great cameraderie!

Bob

Larry,

I was hoping that you'd make it over Larry - I suppose with all your new found photographer fame though you just didn't have time for us little people...

Bob

Larry is famous!

Larry is famous! I saw him on the news this morning being interviewed by our local ABC affiliate, talking about his aerial photography of the flooding. He was at his hangar with lots of footage of his RV-12.

Nice job Larry.

Back