What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes RV-8 Fastback Canopy Questions

Gusmax

Well Known Member
I'm building a 200HP Rocket and LOVE to composite canopy kit that Showplanes sells for their fastback conversion! It is a work of art. Unfortunately, it will not fit the Rocket canopy. I'm considering making something similar for my plane and I have a few questions for those that have installed one of these kits, or hopefully the maker of this beautiful kit;

1- How thick is the core material on the side skirts and cross supports?

2- How thick is the glass at the edges where there is no core material?

Here is a question for the engineering folks on the forum. Would carbon fiber be a suitable reinforcement for the canopy frame since it seems to have practically no thermal expansion rate compared to regular glass fibers? I'm concerned about the acrylic expanding much more than carbon and causing cracks in bubble? There must be many high end sailplanes out there with large canopies with CF frames?

Thank you for any help!!

Phil

Phil,

I inquired with Bryan Milani about getting Showplanes to produce a version of their canopy for us.

If you, or others, can make it happen, I'll gladly add their fine canopy set up to the mix.

Bryan, we're serious.

Back