What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bill of Sale for a plane in Kit form?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hey all,

I am sure someone has had this come up on here...I am buying a partially completed kit without a tail number.

I am thinking all I need is a hand drafted bill of sale. Is that correct?

I would assume I do not need to complete a FAA bill of sale as the airplane isn't technically an airplane yet.

Thanks,
Dan

To my understanding, kind of any bill of sale will work, even with a flying airplane. It's the registration that has to use the FAA paperwork.

When you are ready to register with the FAA you will need a bill of sale from Vans. Contact them now to change the builder number to your name. That way, you?ll also receive SBs, etc.

Bill of Sale

Vans has a bill of sale that you can have the seller sign. Send it in to Vans and they add it to the file. I can send it to you if you send me your email address.

BOS

Be sure to contact Vans to verify that the person that you are buying the kit from is in fact the owner of the kit according to Vans records. Vans needs to have a contiguous ownership trail before they will issue you a BOS that will be required for you to get it inspected for its airworthy cert. (pink slip).
I purchased a kit and received a BOS from the seller. After 1 years work and untold $$$, it was ready for the DAR to inspect, I contacted Vans to get the BOS and was told "I did not own the kit" and they could not issue me the BOS.
Some of these kits change ownership a number of times, without Vans knowledge, before they ever get completed.
Dick

The tail kit carries the serial#, the rest of the kit follows this #. Recommend you call the Vans office with the serial # and name of the person you are buying from so they can verify the paper trail and give you proper guidance. Painless if you have the correct and complete paper trail.

Back