What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Cleco tool

can't remember brand, but it is OK, best for large operations (like moving a row of them one hole over). I tend to not use it unless I have a ton of them to remove.

Most unnecessary tool I ever bought. Buy one of those spring wrist exerciser things instead. Just my view:D
DaveH

It?s great for large skins and moving clecos over one hole when drilling. It?s about 4-5x faster than hand. But it?s not a tool I use all the time. I?d use it more if it was always plugged in. I?ve used it on elevators, tailcone, and one wing skin so far. It?s probably moved 40000 clecos at this point.

If you buy one, get the pistol grip style. I loved mine building the RV-10 when removing lots of cleco's. Never used it for installation, just removal.

I had a pistol-grip style pneumatic Cleco tool during my RV-12 build -- 12,500 pull rivets. It was very useful especially for long runs of repetitive operations where you don't have to put it down and pick it up every time. It is not a required tool but useful for some operations. Best with a flex-coupling and a dedicated lightweight air hose.

tool

Bought one, tried it, didn't use it all that much...way more hassle than just using a pair of cleco pliers...

Just like the others, I bought one and found it to me more awkward than doing it by hand. I don't use it. That said, when I was doing the wing skins, my wrist got tired and I gave it a break by using it there. Not since.

Dave

I bought the Nova Pistol Grip gun from Pan American. I thought it was $60 well spent when working on my RV-10 empennage. Like anything else, it's something you have to get used to, so you're unlikely to appreciate it after just trying it a couple times. (Hypocrisy Disclaimer: I gave up on my pneumatic squeezer after about 20 tries.) For me, I think it's great when you have lots of clecos to install and/or remove. I've used it on my RV-12 build as well, but not nearly as much.

https://www.panamericantool.com/cleco-fasteners/novar-pneumatic-instalation-tool.html

Great Tool...For Me

I’ve used an in-line pneumatic cleco tool for an -8 and -10 slow-build projects and found it extremely beneficial. But like so many things in this hobby, it’s all in the eye of the beholder. Once you learn how to use the tool it is very easy to operate. But it does take a proper technique and that is not immediately intuitive. And it truly shines when you have have a large number of clecos to insert and extract. It saves time but in the long run, you’re not going to finish your project any sooner. I run mine on a dedicated second air line from a multi-port manifold located at my compressor. That way the tool is always available and doesn’t require switching tools. Not quite as convenient as dozens of cleco pliers located all around the project but close enough. Previous to my -8 and -10 builds, I also built a very early -6 using just cleco pliers. About half way through that project I developed very painful tendonitis. I suspect that came on from the repetitive motion of the pliers and the riveting/bucking. Even today, I still have to deal with the pain from time to time but not anything like during the -6 construction. And it’s as much a lower arm/elbow issue so using a wrist exercising tool would be useless. I have found my pneumatic cleco tool a great asset if for no other reason than to help deal with my tendonitis.

I have one that I use a lot, especially removing clecos. I never turn down an opportunity for a tool that can make my life even a little bit easier. I think that?s my new motto.

I purchased a US Tool pneumatic cleco tool years ago. Mine was not used much and it needed new O-Rings every time I used it. Would sit about a year or more between use. Initial impression was that it was nice but not a necessary tool.

As one gets older, arthritis starts and one cannot do as much as one did years earlier. I find more than one hour with cleco pliers and I am done for the day as my hands will not take it.

The pneumatic cleco tool allows me to do a normal day of RV metal working. I would not be able to do as much work in a day without having a pneumatic cleco tool.

This is an image of 21-man hours of work over the past nine (9) days. My RV-8 Right Wing would not be this far along without the pneumatic cleco tool.

IMG-8171.jpg

I developed a case of tennis elbow which I was convinced was the result of squeezing too many clecos, so I ordered one of these from ATS for around $100. It worked for a while, then a seal or something started leaking inside and it would only squeeze the cleco half the time, or half-squeeze the cleco, etc.

Wasted more time than it ever saved. Sent it back a couple weeks ago and they said they were going to get the mfgr. to fix it. Still waiting. (Tennis elbow eventually got better- guess my arms got used to squeezing the clecos.)

I have two of the ones that Bobby put a link in for. I bought mine off eBay.

One of the best investments I made, other than the Numatx squeezer and C-frame. I hate putting in clecos by hand. These things rock. I was putting on and taking things off all the time. This saved a lot of effort. Eventually one crapped out and that is why I have two. Both are a little sketchy now, but I have very few uses for clecoing things nowadays.

SO I guess everyone has different experiences.

--- snip ---

Eventually one crapped out and that is why I have two. Both are a little sketchy now, but I have very few uses for clecoing things nowadays.

SO I guess everyone has different experiences.

The one I have also craps out more than I would like. Take it apart, clean, and replace the O-Rings. Bet it works like new or at least the one I have does after cleaning and new O-Rings. (Use cheap Harbor Freight O-Rings if you do not have good ones.)

Back