What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rib Flange Faceting

dustin_96

I finished prepping the last of the bulkheads for the rear fuselage last night. At each step of the way the plans clearly state to remove flange faceting. My tabs don't appear faceted though. Has there been an improvement in manufacturing that corrected for this anomaly or is my eye deceiving me? I don't want to get the skin on only to have bumps but I'm not sure what to grind off! :)

Thank you!

Bulkhead facet smoothing

I just went through that yesterday and found if you rotate the edges about a disk sander with a table you can feel the burrs/raised edges about those flange tabs. Fresh kit. Come in on it lightly and use your feel versus sight.

I just went through that yesterday and found if you rotate the edges about a disk sander with a table you can feel the burrs/raised edges about those flange tabs. Fresh kit. Come in on it lightly and use your feel versus sight.

Not just "lightly", paranoid levels of lightly. And fine grit. I ruined a HS nose rib in 0.5 seconds by just skimming it with the belt sander. Now I use the Scotchbrite wheel for this task.

I use a Dremel with a 500 Aluminum Oxide Abrasive Wheel 1" Diameter.

They are unfortunately getting kinda spendy to procure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 7.18.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 7.18.04 AM.png
    578.8 KB · Views: 121
Back