What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder horn bushing

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I noticed on a friend's RV-7 which he's just beginning that the holes on the rudder horn where the rudder cables are attached (don't have the part number handy) now seems to have a press-fit bushing in it, whereas mine (which obviously is from a few years ago when *I* started) doesn't have that, as far as I recall (plane is at the hangar, I'm at home, plus it's all assembled and I don't feel like taking the cable off just to verify what I'm pretty sure is the case :) ).

Anybody know...is this a steel part, or some other material, and where might I find one similar (I'm assuming that over the years, the hole will elongate without this, which is why they added it)? It's *really* thin wall stuff...seems like maybe 1/16"?

TIA...

Steve

Steve, those used to be called "Oillite" bushings, impregnated brass. My Air Tractors have them pressed into the trim tab actuators back there.

Unless Van has started adding them to the later airplanes, your friend may have decided on this mod on his own, because elongation of the holes in the rudder horn have never really been a problem.

Best,

Steve, those used to be called "Oillite" bushings, impregnated brass. My Air Tractors have them pressed into the trim tab actuators back there.

Unless Van has started adding them to the later airplanes, your friend may have decided on this mod on his own, because elongation of the holes in the rudder horn have never really been a problem.

Best,

Best,

Yup. Mine has bushings

My -7 tail kit was delivered March of 2012 and I do indeed have the bushings in the rudder horn.

Daniel, I looked at you'r very interesting and well documented kit log to see if I could find a post about the insertions of those bushings, but I did'nt. What kind of tool did you use and what size was the bushings?

My -7 tail kit was delivered March of 2012 and I do indeed have the bushings in the rudder horn.

Dan, were the bushings installed in the horn by Vans, or supplied as hardware to be installed by the builder? I received my emp kit (sn 74023) about three months before you, and it doesn't have the bushings.
FP05022012A0000O.jpg

Miles.
Mine were inplace when I recieved it... I really didn't think anything of it till I saw this pop up today. My emp kit was #74076

Bushings on rudder horn

Kit 74081 and I have the bushings. Received 4-1-12.

(Be done in a few weeks BTW...) :D

I'm looking into this now. At 1400hrs, we have real wear on the horn holes with elongation of about 3/32 (guess) at this time.I'm definitely thinking about making up some bushings to press into the horn if there is enough meat left. I too am interested in anybody's pictures. I haven't seen an RV with bushings specified.

What worked for me.

I had a similar issue with the rudder horn hole elongating on my old Stinson. The A/P that I worked with told me to go get some steel brake or fuel line that would fit the bolt, and to drill out the horn to accept the steel line in a press fit. I used a bolt, couple washers and a nut to press/draw/squeeze the tube in place.

Worked like a charm------hardest part was cutting the tubing short enough.

Back