What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly LED Problem

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Hello all. I am in the middle of my first condition inspection and notice that one of my wing tip Fly LED navigation lights (red) has a problem. The wing tip light consists of two boards; one facing outward and one facing forward. The one facing forward has all LED lights bright (no problem). The one facing outward has each LED light very dim. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix?

Thanks
John

Check the interconnect wire between the boards

Hello all. I am in the middle of my first condition inspection and notice that one of my wing tip Fly LED navigation lights (red) has a problem. The wing tip light consists of two boards; one facing outward and one facing forward. The one facing forward has all LED lights bright (no problem). The one facing outward has each LED light very dim. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix?

Thanks
John

John,

There is a ribbon wire between the boards what use screw type terminal stripes. Check and see if all the screws are tight.

If that is good, download the following

https://flyleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/The-Works-1-Wings-v3.12.pdf

Go to page 7, and follow the test procedures for testing all the LED’s on the boards. Read the notes to prevent damage to the LED’s.

Brian

John,

I had this problem. Check the voltage drop across each of the LED's and see if a couple of them have an excessive voltage drop of more than 2.4 volts. I had a few go bad and were showing a voltage drop of over 8 volts which caused the series of lights to dim. Replacing a bad LED is easy and can be done by just removing the lens, so no need to pull the wingtip or the board.

You should definitely contact Paul at [email protected]. He is very responsive, and he will help you!

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark and Brian, as soon as I am able to get back to the airport I will try your suggestions and get back.

Hi John

Mark and Brian have both given you some good pointers there (thanks gents!).
There could also be some 'dry' solder joints at one of the LEDs or the resistors feeding each string of three LEDs. Simply reheating each solder joint along with a dash of fresh solder may cure things.
We have a troubleshooting guide available that will help as well.
If you find you have a faulty LED or two please reach out and I can get some replacements sent your way.

Thanks Paul. I will do the trouble shooting and get back. I love the lights; everyone comments on how bright they are.

I checked the LED and sue enough there are two over 8 volts. Looking at the board, they are one top middle and one bottom middle. I am assuming these two need replacing? I checked the gray ribbon cable and all wires and screws are tight and secure.

Thanks
John

Thanks Paul,
Received six new red LED's today in the mail from Flyboy. I will post update when I have a chance to solder them in. Thanks for the great support.

Also, love the Flyboy "Thank You" card (Dax & Jade).

Thank again.

Finally soldered the two red LED's on the panel that was giving trouble and now they all work great. Thanks again all for the info and Paul and Fly Boy for great service.

Back