What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Midwest Paint shops

Chadmeyer24

Looking to get my rv4 painted.
Finding out that paint shops are hard to get ahold of.
I'm in northern iowa and just looking for some recommendations on paint shops. The one quote I have gotten was a base price of 10k which included just 3 colors. Thought this was a little steep considering my 4 is still bare aluminum so no stripping.

Let me know opinions and experiences? I also have some fiberglass work that needs to be done before paint... Wheel pants/gear leg fairings/ some cowl work.

Euroair Aviation in Reedsburgh, WI (C35)
Reasonble prices, does good work. He did my plane and it made the Vans calendar this year... Miss July.

BRANDIS AIRCRAFT DESIGNS

BRANDIS AIRCRAFT DESIGNS, restoration, refinishing and upholstery services. 55 years of continuous excellent quality service, using Alumigrip and Jet Glo products. Quick turn times and reasonable costs. C150 to Jet Star aircraft capability and experience. Central Illinois location. Call Bob or Mike Brandis at (217) 824-8032 or (217) 824-8033 Fax.

Contact Information
Seller:Brandis Aircraft (217) 824-8032

Address:2301 S Spresser St
Address 2:Taylorville, IL USA 62568

I painted my own, but know someone here in Chicago that got an $8K quote. I would expect lower prices in less populated areas. Keep looking.

Larry

Give Chad a call at On Site Aviation in Hillsboro, ND. 701-636-1113

Eddy

I Don't think Chad is there anymore. I was waiting 6 months to have him paint mine this past July and he stopped returning calls about last May.

Midwest Aircraft Refinishing in Hibbing, MN seems to have a good reputation. There out about 11-12 months right now. I've made some phone calls and $10k seems to be the going rate

Here is what I was thinking about

Maybe this is an option for you.

Do all the prep work yourself. Get her ready to paint. Then bring the plane piece by piece to a local auto body shop that you can make a deal with to have them shoot it. They can do it quick if you have done all the work already and they have a proper paint booth to do it in. There is hardly any time for them to paint it. It should be cheap. Go back and get it piece by piece and assemble in the hangar. Presto! Painted plane! I know assembling after paint is difficult but for a basic paint job this might be an option.

Im going to try this method or possibly paint myself if i can figure out a proper place to do it because $10k is not in the cards for me.

I worked with Scheme Designers to complete a detailed design book, then sent it to several shops for quotation. I ended up going with Arizona Aircraft Painters in Eloy AZ for a combination of price and reported quality. They did a great job on the three colour, complex scheme. Paint has great gloss, light weight, and virtually no flaws. Turn-around was reasonable, and the flowing curves matched the original design perfectly. The shop did full prep, prime and paint with Aerothane only; no clear coat. I had to disassemble and reassemble all the parts myself. Their price was $3000 higher than the cheapest quote, and $5000 less than the most expensive quote. I heartily recomend both the paint shop and Scheme Designers for high quality and excellent value.

Eloy may not be in the Midwest, but I built the 7A to see the continent, and needed a break from our long Canadian winter.
Jay

PS. After two years, I observed small paint bubbles on lower tank rivets immediately after flying the high teens to cross the Rocks. (Yes I had oxygen) This is not the painters fault, but make sure to check the paint bubble thread if yours is a quick build kit like mine.

These guys did mine for $4700 for a plain white Imron.
Woodlake Aircraft Refinishing, Inc.
850 Piper Way
Sandwich Airport
Sandwich, Illinois 60548
Phone 815-786-2538 Fax: 815-786-9004
[email protected]

What kind of price range would one expect from a paint scheme consultant?

I spent a lot of time on their website (http://www.schemedesigners.com) after reading that they designed the scheme on Lady Bug (fastback RV8, Kitplanes, Jan. 2016). Seems it ends up around the $1,500 range, IIRC (please don't take my word for it; check it out yourself). Spend some time on their site, particularly Sample Projects and Design Services. They really seem to know how to do it right and have done some truly outstanding work. One of the best take-aways I got is not to try to copy someone else's fancy scheme. What looks so good on someone's RV-4 may look like **** copied to an RV-10. Also, please respect a designer's intellectual rights. Designing a good paint scheme is an art to be respected.

Seems to me that I recently read an article about them but I can't recall where.

Back