What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can Oil Screen Fall Out of Plug?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
My oil screen seems to slip into and out of the plug fairly easily. Can the oil screen fall out of the plug once its all inserted back into the sump?

No. The oil screen can’t move after being installed because the sump won’t let it.

that's what I figured, but I appreciate the confirmation

If you want to, you can put the screen on your pinky finger, then put it into the sump, you’ll feel it bottom out in there. However, when installing it, I recommend putting it into the cap first before installing it so that you know it’s in the cap and not crushing an edge.

Be careful installing it - it fits into a little hole in the sump like it does on the plug.

I would GENTLY squeeze the end of the screen that goes into the plug until there was some friction to keep the screen retained during assembly. Easier to make sure the other end goes into the sump properly.

My screen was apparently intentionally deformed slightly on one end (by the manufacturer or engine builder) to fit snugly into the plug. It isn't much, but one end of the screen has no friction in the plug, and the other does.

Back