What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic Med

Not sure why you think that using your PCP is expected under BasicMed. I see nothing in the FAA documents that mentions anything other than the requirement for a state licensed physician.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

Can you direct me and others to a reference that supports your belief that those using a non-PCP physician is somehow a convolution of the intent of BasicMed?

Just curious what I am missing.

Thanks.

Not missing anything but just my personal observation. Just one of those things I have read AOPA and EAA talking up for the last 4-5 years. It was maybe just their tone or implied but I guess I was hoping I could use my regular doctor appointments with no additional visits to doctors who did not know me. Of coarse I can, as long as they are willing to sign. Not EAA or AOPA fault that currently many PCP and AMEs are not as willing to sign as originally hoped.

Plenty of articles can be found that believed this to happen with your own physician. Like I said in my first post, this is all new and in a few months maybe my doctors will come around and be willing to sign without going to different doctor just because they are willing to sign.

In this article AOPA Baker. “These reforms put decisions about medical care back into the hands of pilots and their personal physicians, people who know them well and have an ongoing interest in their health and well being.”

See intro paragraph and point 2 here. "When your current third-class medical expires, you will need to complete the medical course online, and have your personal physician complete an exam."

See end of first paragraph in this flying article. "skip their periodic visits to an aviation medical ­examiner (AME) and instead take a free online aeromedical factors course every two years and visit their personal physician for a checkup ­every four years."

Last edited:
Not missing anything but just my personal observation. Just one of those things I have read AOPA and EAA talking up for the last 4-5 years. It was maybe just their tone or implied but I guess I was hoping I could use my regular doctor appointments with no additional visits to doctors who did not know me. Of coarse I can, as long as they are willing to sign. Not EAA or AOPA fault that currently many PCP and AMEs are not as willing to sign as originally hoped.

Plenty of articles can be found that believed this to happen with your own physician. Like I said in my first post, this is all new and in a few months maybe my doctors will come around and be willing to sign without going to different doctor just because they are willing to sign.

In this article AOPA Baker. ?These reforms put decisions about medical care back into the hands of pilots and their personal physicians, people who know them well and have an ongoing interest in their health and well being.?

See intro paragraph and point 2 here. "When your current third-class medical expires, you will need to complete the medical course online, and have your personal physician complete an exam."

See end of first paragraph in this flying article. "skip their periodic visits to an aviation medical *examiner (AME) and instead take a free online aeromedical factors course every two years and visit their personal physician for a checkup *every four years."

That was my understanding a well and one of the advantages of the Basic Med program. Hopefully more PCP will get on board as this progresses. I would think that this will become a topic in the medical journals and might help more physicians getting on board.

Jim

Any benefit of Basic Med for healthy pilots?

So for someone who has no health issues and no problems passing the 3rd class medical, is there any benefit in switching to basic med? I know it's every 4yrs vs. 2yrs, but you still have to do the online course every 2 years. My exam with the AME was extremely easy and straight-forward. No forms to fill out, no online course to take. Just show up, let them do a few tests, and you're good to go flying for another 2 years. Am I missing anything?

That was my understanding a well and one of the advantages of the Basic Med program. Hopefully more PCP will get on board as this progresses. I would think that this will become a topic in the medical journals and might help more physicians getting on board.

Jim

I agree. This was one of the "selling points" of the whole deal by AOPA and EAA...that you'd get this form signed off when you had your annual physical with your PCP.

No forms to fill out

LOL... What AME were you going to. You have to fill out the form on line with the FAA. It's called Medexpress. Here's what the FAA says about it.

As of October 1, 2012, pilots are required to use MedXPress. MedXPress is located at https://medxpress.faa.gov/.

The four year thing is big to me. The online course is trivial and you can retake it until you get it right.

Here is my take on why I did it. I get a physical every year paid for through health insurance. Just bring the form with me (it is virtually, if not, identical to the form you are required to fill out for your III class) and have my regular doc sign it. My last III class cost 150 bucks so it does save me $300 over those four years.

In my case, I don't have or need a special issuance, but because I had a kidney stone within the last five years, the AME needs me to have an unnecessary test that my regular doctor just rolled his eyes at when I told him what I needed. I would have had to pay for that twice during those five years.

At 64 I'm in great health, but like most people my age there are some minor issues. I have found the AME I have used to be somewhat adversarial. My PCP knows me and all of my health history in detail. I don't believe he would sign the form unless he felt he could. If he couldn't sign, I would know it wasn't for some bureaucratic reason but for a genuine concern that would get my attention.

By the way, relating to other posts, you can go to any state licensed physician whether they are your PCP or not. If they are not your PCP I suspect that they may be more reticent to sign a form for you.

The quotes about your seeing your regular physician are just reflecting the logical thing to do and what everybody assumes most people will do, but it is not required.

Oops, yes, you're right about MedXpress. I totally forgot about that. I guess it was such a non-event that I didn't remember...

LOL... What AME were you going to. You have to fill out the form on line with the FAA. It's called Medexpress. Here's what the FAA says about it.

As of October 1, 2012, pilots are required to use MedXPress. MedXPress is located at https://medxpress.faa.gov/.

The four year thing is big to me. The online course is trivial and you can retake it until you get it right.

Here is my take on why I did it. I get a physical every year paid for through health insurance. Just bring the form with me (it is virtually, if not, identical to the form you are required to fill out for your III class) and have my regular doc sign it. My last III class cost 150 bucks so it does save me $300 over those four years.

In my case, I don't have or need a special issuance, but because I had a kidney stone within the last five years, the AME needs me to have an unnecessary test that my regular doctor just rolled his eyes at when I told him what I needed. I would have had to pay for that twice during those five years.

At 64 I'm in great health, but like most people my age there are some minor issues. I have found the AME I have used to be somewhat adversarial. My PCP knows me and all of my health history in detail. I don't believe he would sign the form unless he felt he could. If he couldn't sign, I would know it wasn't for some bureaucratic reason but for a genuine concern that would get my attention.

By the way, relating to other posts, you can go to any state licensed physician whether they are your PCP or not. If they are not your PCP I suspect that they may be more reticent to sign a form for you.

The quotes about your seeing your regular physician are just reflecting the logical thing to do and what everybody assumes most people will do, but it is not required.

RE: PCP

Got it, now I remember the history, and it makes sense.

I spoke to my PCP about BasicMed, sent him the forms to review, and he said no problem.

However, by the time that BasicMed was available, I was gone for the summer, my Class III had expired, and my annual physical isn't until November, so I needed to find someone local to give the exam. Hence finding a local doc.

Last edited:

Based on this poll looks like my personal observation on this thread are in error.

No forms to fill out,

Except the Form 8500-8 on MedXpress.... Which is the basis for much of the form required for BasicMed. The effort required is basically the same. As for the course, it is a good general education course for a pilot that is self certifying they are fit to fly. I am amazed that some sort of training like that is not required for all classes of medical. It was very well done and covers just about everything you need to know to be a responsible pilot. One could argue that one that has completed that course flying under BasicMed may be safer than someone that has a Third Class medical and no real education on how safe they are to fly medically. Remember every pilot self certifies each time they act as PIC no matter how long it has been since they saw their AME or PCP/Dr. It is the pilot that is on the hook, not the AME or the PCP/Dr. The pilot is always the last person to make the call.

Oops, yes, you're right about MedXpress. I totally forgot about that. I guess it was such a non-event that I didn't remember...

And so will using BasicMed (non-event) for the vast majority of people that need or think they need it. Once the new wears off of this brand new program and all the misconceptions and false info being spread around get squashed and the certain group of FAA designated medical professionals stop attempting to stonewall it, it will be easy peasy for the vast majority of the folks that want to use it. I also believe that the Drs that are claiming their insurance won't cover them will also reduce over time. Some Drs are afraid of their own shadow in this regard and will just need to see how it works out for others. The insurance company's that have said they won't cover it will most likely come around as well after they realize the sky won't fall on them. Got a feeling they may get some pressure from Congress as well...

Last edited:
This is the kind of **** that annoys me with EAA (and why I let my AOPA membership lapse years ago)...

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news...aa_house_featurebox_link&utm_content=advocacy

"EAA has heard from members throughout the country who have already used the system, and have related or posted their success stories in using BasicMed. Some examples:"

followed by a few "this is wonderful" quotes from their forum. HOWEVER, this glad-handing PR announcement *completely ignored* quite a few *negative* cases from their very own forum! A quick glance shows about the same percentage of people who couldn't get their PCPs to sign off as we're seeing here.

Why not be honest about it? Why ignore the issues and problems that need to be resolved?

How do you propose these "issues and problems" be resolved?

How about direct contact and collaboration with the AMA, as one example? Talk to them about using their tools for reaching out to and educating physicians directly (surely they must have email and mailing lists for their members)?

How about direct contact and collaboration with the AMA, as one example? Talk to them about using their tools for reaching out to and educating physicians directly (surely they must have email and mailing lists for their members)?

Joe,

Did you mean to write, AME ( Aviation Medical Examiner) as opposed to AMA?

Have you directly contacted and talked with an AME on this issue like your suggesting? What were the results?

What "tools for reaching out" are you referring too? Is it their obligation to educate physicians directly?

As part of my own grass roots effort, I took the time to explain to my PCP the new law as it applies to Basic Med. My PCP was satisfied with my explanation and decide to give me the exam. My PCP signed me off and I took the AOPA test. I had a good overall experience with Basic Med. I hope your experience is good as well.

Last edited:
This is the kind of **** that annoys me with EAA (and why I let my AOPA membership lapse years ago)...

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news...aa_house_featurebox_link&utm_content=advocacy

"EAA has heard from members throughout the country who have already used the system, and have related or posted their success stories in using BasicMed. Some examples:"

followed by a few "this is wonderful" quotes from their forum. HOWEVER, this glad-handing PR announcement *completely ignored* quite a few *negative* cases from their very own forum! A quick glance shows about the same percentage of people who couldn't get their PCPs to sign off as we're seeing here.

Why not be honest about it? Why ignore the issues and problems that need to be resolved?

Wow, looks like the poll on this website as of a minute ago said 25 PCP docs said yes and 6 said no. That's even a super majority. Embrace this positive change for GA and go fly.

Wow, looks like the poll on this website as of a minute ago said 25 PCP docs said yes and 6 said no. That's even a super majority.
And even 8 out of 12 AME's (67%) have said "yes". As of 5/6/2017, if you take all the replies, a whopping 75% (37 out of 50) doctors have said "yes" while another 5% (3 out of 50) said "let me look at this first". Only 10 out of 50 (20%) have said "no". To me this is a very convincing majority and indicates BasicMed can get more pilots flying.

Embrace this positive change for GA and go fly.
Exactly how I feel about this.

Last edited:
My PCP was a little uncertain at first. Said he was inclined to stay away from anything that needed to be sent to the government. When I explained to him that he would not be submitting anything to the government, and after a brief review of the form, he indicated he would not have a problem with it and that I should schedule an appointment.

I'll report the final outcome.

Joe,

Did you mean to write, AME ( Aviation Medical Examiner) as opposed to AMA?

Have you directly contacted and talked with an AME on this issue like your suggesting? What were the results?

What "tools for reaching out" are you referring too? Is it their obligation to educate physicians directly?

As part of my own grass roots effort, I took the time to explain to my PCP the new law as it applies to Basic Med. My PCP was satisfied with my explanation and decide to give me the exam. My PCP signed me off and I took the AOPA test. I had a good overall experience with Basic Med. I hope your experience is good as well.

No, I meant the AMA, as I wrote. A simple email from them to their members explaining and supporting this process would probably prevent most of the refusals by PCPs to perform BasicMed exams/signoffs.

Yes, I spoke with my AME about this a while back, and he said he would not be doing BasicMed exams. My PCP is currently "looking into it".

According to Wikipedia, there are app. 175,000 active private pilots in the U.S. Thus, a 1/3 refusal rate by PCPs equates to about 60,000 pilots who either have to revert to an AME (not covered by health insurance) or go doctor shopping (likely also not covered by insurance). A tiny fraction of the overall population, but a pretty good chunk of the pilot population.

All I'm saying is that instead of clapping themselves on the back about what a great job they did, and giving stellar advice to those who turn to them for assistance when their PCP turns them down like "find another doctor" (ref. another poster in this thread, I believe), it would be might be a good idea to engage the largest associations of *doctors* and educate them.

No, I meant the AMA, as I wrote.....

All I'm saying is that instead of clapping themselves on the back about what a great job they did, and giving stellar advice to those who turn to them for assistance when their PCP turns them down like "find another doctor" (ref. another poster in this thread, I believe), it would be might be a good idea to engage the largest associations of *doctors* and educate them.

That's a very sensible idea. Let's pass it to our EAA and AOPA contacts at every opportunity.

No, I meant the AMA, as I wrote. A simple email from them to their members explaining and supporting this process would probably prevent most of the refusals by PCPs to perform BasicMed exams/signoffs.

Yes, I spoke with my AME about this a while back, and he said he would not be doing BasicMed exams. My PCP is currently "looking into it".

According to Wikipedia, there are app. 175,000 active private pilots in the U.S. Thus, a 1/3 refusal rate by PCPs equates to about 60,000 pilots who either have to revert to an AME (not covered by health insurance) or go doctor shopping (likely also not covered by insurance). A tiny fraction of the overall population, but a pretty good chunk of the pilot population.

American Medical Association (AMA).

Yes, it seems appropriate to circulate the info about Basic Med to the AMA so it can filter down to our PCPs.

Good idea!

Thanks

BasicMed

It has always been my experience that pilots were a group that one could always count on to support fellow pilots. It is a bit disconserting to see so many posts here that seem to be putting down 1 in 5 other pilots that, through no fault of there own, have been turned down from even being consider for an examination by thier PCP and or their AME.

I suspect if they were that unlucky one of the five, they might think differently.

LL

It has always been my experience that pilots were a group that one could always count on to support fellow pilots. It is a bit disconserting to see so many posts here that seem to be putting down 1 in 5 other pilots that, through no fault of there own, have been turned down from even being consider for an examination by thier PCP and or their AME.

I suspect if they were that unlucky one of the five, they might think differently.

LL

I agree. I posted the feelings from my AME and why he will NOT sign off on a BasicMed.

I think like Dan posted. We need to get together for ALL and push AOPA and EAA to help support this program for ALL current and future pilots that want to use the BasicMed.

The entire Medical program worldwide is inconsistent. I am NOT an airline pilot, but "AM" required to hold a 1st class medical! Insane!

So, for those that wanted the relief using the BasicMed....I get it!

But, since the BasicMed is a USA program, we can win this one for ALL.

I can't win my battle with ICAO states requiring a 1st class....unless the USA comes up with a diffrent system and dump the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And we know how fast that will (never) happen.

GO =VAF= And congrats to phase 1 of the BasicMed program.

A previous poster made a good point about getting the message out to doctors (PCP) through the AMA via AOPA and EAA.

Even though I had a positive experience with Basic Med, I agree that we could better support pilots who may remain frustrated. One way of supporting others is sharing our experinces, positive and negative, here and more appropriately over on the AOPA and EAA threads related to this subject.

I elected to write those advocacy groups and appeal to them to consider an intiative to educate PCPs and malpractice insurance providers about Basic Med.

Not sure the AMA will be much help:
"the American Medical Association has come out against doing away with the Third Class Medical. Aviator Doc wrote:"

Quote from: https://jonathanturley.org/2015/02/28/the-faa-and-ntsb-vs-common-sense-part-deux/

But there are fewer and fewer of them.

"The AMA still has more clout — and spends far more on lobbying — than the scores of medical specialty societies and splinter groups that sort doctors by political leanings. But it counts fewer than 25 percent of practicing physicians as members, down from 75 percent in the 1950s"

Quote from: https://www.statnews.com/2016/12/22/american-medical-association-divisions/

Please, give them some time...

AOPA and EAA are on this already and realized it would take educating the medical and insurance establishments some time back:

"During the coming months, AOPA also will begin the process of educating doctors, insurers, and pilots about the reforms and what they mean. We will help doctors understand and feel comfortable with their roles and responsibilities in performing medical exams for pilots. Insurance companies will need to understand how the new rules will affect pilots and how they compare to existing medical standards, like the one used by sport pilots. And pilots, too, will need to dig into the rules and understand how they relate to their individual situations."

Here's the source of the quote: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/15/medical-reform-becomes-law

Although I just passed my third class medical a few weeks ago, I asked my AME if he would be giving basic med exams. He answered affirmatively. Hopefully, more doctors will come on board as word gets out and their concerns are answered. I also hope that our neighboring countries will come on board and recognize Basic Med as the way of the future.

If you are not a member of either of these organizations, please consider joining at least one. I would like to thank them for their efforts and although Basic med is not exactly what we wanted and has a way to go, I applaud their effort and results so far.

Joe

Everyone was so excited about this initially because it was originally thought that we would be able to fly on nothing but a drivers license.

The fact remains the FAA screwed us, no surprise there and it appears AOPA conceded to and wasted god know how much money of our membership fees trying to get 3rd class medical reform passed which in fact is 99.9% the same as 3rd class medical.

The way I'm understanding this,

Only difference is, your doctor can do the exam instead of an AME which in reality people are having problems getting them to actually do. PCP are to scared to sign it because (as many have said) "they don't know what it takes to fly an airplane" and don't want the liability.

and now its every four years and no denials officially on record.

That is NOT EVEN CLOSE to what AOPA originally proposed to us pilots and spent who knows what lobbying for almost EXACTLY what we already had.

IMHO it was a complete waste of time. This was not a win for GA in any way. In many ways its more complicated now trying to deal with PCP,s that don't know anything about GA.

Just a head up:

This is getting a little too 'AOPA/EAA/FAA/Government' for my tastes, and if you aren't aware what I'm talking about please reference the second paragraph in red letters at: http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm

Please tone down the government/association/etc talk or I'll need to go ahead and lock down the thread. Trying to give a little latitude here, but it's getting really close to 'kill'.

Thx,
dr

Last edited:
And you don't think the "no denials" part is BIG?

And I will remind you that the original proposal also restricted you to 4 seats, 180 HP max., and daytime VFR.
Do you also have a problem with 6 seats, no HP limitation, and day/night VFR & IFR?

4 seats 180HP day/night with a drivers license would of been better then what we have now. They literally changed nothing with this after how many millions of our members money spent?
What does no official denials do for anyone? All it allows is for you to run around from doctor to doctor begging for a signature without a paper trail. If you can ever find one given the initial response from so many on here that PCP,s are saying "no way"

Instead of instituting an entire new mess like they did all they had to do was change the limitations of sport pilot to say 2k pounds and no speed/hp restrictions VFR day/night. Obviously nothing we can do now.

IMHO praising AOPA for this disaster that they want to tote around as some grand success is foolish.
How many more Rv,s will be sold now by builders that were hoping and praying for real third class medical reform. I won't go on and on about it simply because there is nothing to be done about it therefore nothing constructive will come of it. I would just simply urge those that think this was some big success to think about. It was a debacle that cost AOPA members millions with no results

Seems like you just want to be unhappy about it, despite evidence that it's a good thing for some people? :confused:

Could I have continued to get a 3rd class? Yep. Is it a PITA for me? Yep. My AME retired, and due to some issues with migraines I've had to jump through those proverbial hoops (with his help) every time I renewed it. The thought of doing it all over again with a new AME wasn't thrilling.

So, yes. I'm happy. I went to my regular doctor for my regular checkup. She signed the papers with nothing additional except reading the eye chart on the wall. 20 minutes for an online course, and I'm good to go for any kind of flying I have any intention of doing in the foreseeable future.

4 seats 180HP day/night with a drivers license would of been better then what we have now. They literally changed nothing with this after how many millions of our members money spent?
What does no official denials do for anyone? All it allows is for you to run around from doctor to doctor begging for a signature without a paper trail. If you can ever find one given the initial response from so many on here that PCP,s are saying "no way"

Instead of instituting an entire new mess like they did all they had to do was change the limitations of sport pilot to say 2k pounds and no speed/hp restrictions VFR day/night. Obviously nothing we can do now.

IMHO praising AOPA for this disaster that they want to tote around as some grand success is foolish.
How many more Rv,s will be sold now by builders that were hoping and praying for real third class medical reform. I won't go on and on about it simply because there is nothing to be done about it therefore nothing constructive will come of it. I would just simply urge those that think this was some big success to think about. It was a debacle that cost AOPA members millions with no results

As bad as you appear to think it sucks, for many like me it is a godsend. It is all about perspective.....

This is sure as heck an improvement for me. It cuts in half one of the more stressful experiences I undergo, replacing it with something I do annually anyhow. That's a big deal.

Would the 180 hp limitation be a problem for me if that had carried over? Darn right: my non-RV certified plane has 230 hp. That limitation would have negated any benefit. Now I'm ok.

Would the 10,000 foot MSL limitation (as was earlier proposed) have been an issue? Well, out here, we have ground levels 40% higher, so yes. My airplane doesn't have the tunneling option -- does yours?

This is much, much better.

Is it everything I'd want? No, of course not.

Bottom line: it could have been worse.

Modest suggestion here: live with it and see how it goes.

Dave

If you can ever find one given the initial response from so many on here that PCP,s are saying "no way"

Odds look pretty good with only 10 of the 52 participants in the poll thread saying that their initial AME or PCP query said "no way". 4 of the 10 were AME's which does not surprise me since it appears a large number of them seem to really dislike the program for whatever reason.....

I am betting that the odds will get even better once all the new wears off, the medical community is better educated about this new program and the hold out AME's realize it is here to stay.

Last edited:
Odds look pretty good with only 10 of the 52 participants in the poll thread saying that their initial AME or PCP query said "no way". 4 of the 10 were AME's which does not surprise me since it appears a large number of them seem to really dislike the program for whatever reason.....

With 8 more in the "TBD" category...

With 8 more in the "TBD" category...

Well 5 of the 8 most likely are Drs that need a chance to read and understand the program before committing. It seems that most that have stated that this was their Dr's reaction have had their Dr come back later and agree to participate.

The other 3 very well could be stuff like eye exams or someone that has some other condition that could be serious or just needs to be checked into. These 3 could be the kinda people that would have been busted on a regular 3rd class medical exam sending them into the Aeromedical black hole (that sucks the life, time and money out of the pilot) that many of us have experienced.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about it........

.........I like it!

I re-read the post. I am amazed, IMO this is simply the greatest advance in GA in the past 35 years. Not surprised that it did not meet everyone's expectation but man what an advance for GA. Everyone has the right to their opinion so I have read it and like Sam said "I like it", heck I love it.

I re-read the post. I am amazed, IMO this is simply the greatest advance in GA in the past 35 years. Not surprised that it did not meet everyone's expectation but man what an advance for GA. Everyone has the right to their opinion so I have read it and like Sam said "I like it", heck I love it.

Me too! Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Me too! Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Well........ as has already been expressed, I think there is a lot to fuss about in regards to how we got to where we're at today. That being said.......I think, what we ended up with, is a huge improvement to what we had before. I will go on record as to being firmly in the "doubters" camp a couple weeks ago.........but am now firmly in the "hopeful" camp.

I hope we can all keep our input civil and try to understand the issues others might be dealing with and keep this thread open. There's a lot to be learned as this process moves forward.

Jim

just like what was stated above, everyone is allowed their personal opinion

Mine remains unchanged.
<Alphabet soup reference deleted by moderator> ...the only change is who signs off. An AME or your PCP.

<Moderator's comment: Doug has already warned us in the previous post about this thread getting dangerously close to breaking one of his rules. Please respect his rules.>

Last edited by a moderator:
My Kaiser Permanente doctor signed off mine, Just walked down the check list and did the exam. Took about 5 min.

This is a big win for me: as it was free, low hassle factor, avoided the whole dance with the FAA on my very well treated hypertension and is good for 4 years.

So I see that googling CDL exams in my state turns up numerous individuals with D.C credentials. Does a Chiropractor qualify as a state licensed Dr.? For that matter, does a D.D.S qualify by the definition of "State Licensed Dr." or does the requirement dictate a M.D or D.O. I see it specifically excludes Physicians assistants.

Really??

Checked with another local, KLMO, AME today regards BasicMed exam. Office gal said "we don't participate in the BasicMed program, we can give you a third class for $125.00," then added, "area Dr offices are charging $400 to $600 for the BasicMed." I HOPE, that that was to try to encourage me to get a 3rd class from them.

LL

Bill, unfortunately the language in almost all states does not license Chiropractors as Physicians. This excludes them from performing the basic med. In some states, Optometrists and Podiatrists are licensed as Physicians and "could" perform the Basic med If, as stated, they feel confident to perform all portions of the the CMEC. Given that all newer (within last 8 years or so) Podiatrists have undergone three years of surgical residency and conduct full Historys and Physicals as part of their daily surgery schedules, that may be a route for you. It is doubtful that would find an optometrist willing to do it.

Last edited:
Bill, unfortunately the language in almost all states does not license Chiropractors as Physicians. This excludes them from performing the basic med. In some states, Optometrists and Podiatrists are licensed as Physicians and "could" perform the Basic med If, as stated, they feel confident to perform all portions of the the CMEC. Given that all newer (within last 8 years or so) Podiatrists have undergone three years of surgical residency and conduct full Historys and Physicals as part of their daily surgery schedules, that may be a route for you. It is doubtful that would find an optometrist willing to do it.

I wonder if a psychiatrist would qualify? :)

Most pilots are a tad crazy to start with, after all... LOL

Psychiatry is a medical specialty. An MD or DO is prerequisite, and state licensing would surely be in place to prescribe meds.

If a psychiatrist still had basic examination equipment ready to hand, he or she could do a BasicMed, but good luck finding one willing to look at a pilot's anus. ;)

Received BasicMed exam this week from my AME, his first one. It went through as the standard $20 co-pay since my insurance pays for a "free" annual physical :)

Basic Med - Good

Just got my physical completed by a SoCal Doc that does DOT exams. I was his first. He now knows the process. Can highly recommend him.
PACIFIC MEDICAL CLINIC
Santa Ana, CA. 92705

Back