What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Kit

dweyant

Well Known Member
So, my Empenage kit showed up today!

I got a good deal on a used kit, so while I wasn't planning to purchase anything for a while....

I spent some time this evening unpacking everything and started doing an inventory. The original owner did just the first few steps on the kit, so it has had very little done.

So my first (of I'm sure many) questions is. Do I need to talk to VAN's about having the builder number transferred to me?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan, I'm sure he put the "Blah Blah....." so his post would meet the minimum word count requirement. Not a dumb question.

dumb questions

The great thing about this community is there really is no dumb questions
and everyone is very helpful. Knowing this, your build process is backed up by much knowledge and experience if you need it.

Welcome - and Congrats!

Welcome to the club. It's a good thing to just dive right in and get the empennage purchased - you will be glad you didn't wait... Exciting times ahead :D

So, my Empenage kit showed up today!

I got a good deal on a used kit, so while I wasn't planning to purchase anything for a while....

Thanks,

I'm hoping to get everything inventoried and put away tonight, and get started on the HS.

Any suggestions/warnings on getting started. Other than measure twice, cut once (or the riveting equivalent).

-Dan

Dan,

To answer your question a little more explicitly: you do need to contact Vans to get the builder number transferred to your name. I did exactly the same thing a couple years ago (bought an RV-9 empennage kit from the original purchaser). I sent Vans a copy of the bill of sale, which noted the builder number, and they changed it over to my name. No problems. If you don't have a bill of sale, a note from the seller confirming the transfer of ownership might be all you need. Once Vans makes the change, you become builder #9XXXX.

???

Geez, sorry if I wasted your time asking a dumb question...

-Dan

The forum requires 10 characters in a post... You'll see this often, he's just filling out the space, not anything negative about your question.

Talk to Van's, but I think you have to have it notarized. I had bought a used tail kit, sent in the bill of sale info which was notarized. I later decided to junk that tail and buy a complete new kit. Van's gave me a new builder number to better reflect that I had a later kit (first one was #750, second one was #1894). I'm sure you will have lots of questions, so don't be shy about asking them and using the search feature of the forums. Good luck on your project!

Just a thought...but you may want to start on the VS first. Much easier to build and improve your skills for the HS. I did it that way after reading some posts about it and was glad I did.

Consider starting with one of builder training classes. I went to Synergy Air in OR. Not cheap, but a very good start with knowledgeable instructors. In a short time you have nearly completed Emp parts.

The big benefit is not completing the Emp, but the tips, techniques and good practices you pick up. I have found that almost 1/2 the task in building a Vans RV9A is learning how to rig parts, which tool works best, what tasks are "good enough" and many things that a craftsman just knows.

If you have a good friend who has already built a RV, you are fortunate. Most issues in the building process are questions with out an obvious answer. Most are fairly simple, once you have the light bulb come on.

This forum, other builders project logs, photos from others and your tech adviser will be your best friends.

Back