What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repeat Offender!

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Tanya and I officially became "Repeat Offenders" today with the order faxed to the mother ship for a nice shiny new RV8 empennage and wing kit. Yippee! I can't wait to get building again. It looks like I'm going to have to learn to fly with the little wheel on the other end of the fuselage in a few years.
This build is going to be a full "standard" build -8. We just love riveting that much :). I'm thinking about a Show Planes fastback, Grove main gear, an IO-390, Hartzell BA, and all the electric toys I can stuff in it. We're going to take this build a little slower and just enjoy the process in our new shop.
No, I didn't build the "wrong" airplane first! My freshly minted -9A (120 hrs so far) is a blast to fly and is a real traveling machine. It needs paint but I don't think I can let it go to the paint shop until I have something else to keep me occupied. I had fully intended to build a -10 next, until I found that 80% of my flight time ended up to be solo. When the -8 is done, we're planning on keeping both airplanes. Tanya will then take primary ownership of the -9A. Giddyup!

:)

Glad to hear you're doing this! I've still got a long way to go on my -9A, and when it's done plan to fly it for a long time and put many hours on it (and do IFR/Commercial/instructor rating). But I too expect that one-day I'll become a repeat offender, and (depending on how products evolve in the meantime) it may also be an -8 with the Showplanes fastback/side-tipping canopy mod with a 200hp engine!! I'm the kind of guy who always has to have something to look forward to, and it won't take long after the -9A is flying before I'm drooling over something new ;)

Great News!

Wow...! Congratulations Scott and Tanya. Sounds like a nice plane already.

Last edited:
Congrats Scott!! :cool:

Man! I need a better job!:rolleyes:

DINK! (dual income, no kids) Different strokes for different folks. We also gave up being able to live at an airpark in order to be able to continue to build.

DINK! (dual income, no kids) Different strokes for different folks. We also gave up being able to live at an airpark in order to be able to continue to build.

:)We are DINK's...unless you count our pups as kids, as we do!:D;)

Another Website?

Congrats Scott!

I know it takes a lot of time, but I would like to plug the idea anyway. The website you did for your first build is fantastic and has been a great resource. It's also been a great way to waste time at work.;)

The only problem with most builder's log websites is that they're always documenting someones first attempt at building. Now that you're a repeat offender, here's your opportunity to create a website based on some real experience.

It'll be too late to do me much good, but something to consider.

Congrats again on the latest addition to the family.

Guy

I've been thinking about the whole build log thing. I'm torn. It is a lot of work to keep up, but I probably use it as much as anyone to remember what I did, or look back at pictures of parts to plan an adjustment, etc. We'll see.

RV 8

Scott,

Good to see you two Sunday. Hope you will continue to get out and fly. Building is fun, the new 8s are sweet.

You have kids. They just have N numbers. Enjoy them. Nurture them. You can even keep pictures of them in your wallets.
Another justification for the 8. The 9 needed a sibling.

Yeah, yeah, that is it. I can't wait to get the wallet size pictures printed after the -9 is painted. Nobody wants to look at an ugly baby with nothing but an N number stamped on its side :).

I'm going to give another full build log a shot with my second build. It is a good point that documenting a subsequent build could be more useful than the first. Sometimes we do end up with the blind leading the blind because those "in the know" are long since out having fun instead of struggling through the details. So, I'll give it another shot and see if I can maintain the discipline to keep it useful.
In the end, I like having all of my thoughts and pictures in one place where I can get to them. Also, Tanya commented that she liked being able to follow some of the tedium that she isn't involved in without having to get into a long boring conversation about the exciting stuff going on out in the garage.

Have parts, will rivet. (in a few more weeks once the shop is setup.)
http://rv8.card-net.org

Tanya and I officially became "Repeat Offenders" today with the order faxed to the mother ship for a nice shiny new RV8 empennage and wing kit. Yippee! I can't wait to get building again. It looks like I'm going to have to learn to fly with the little wheel on the other end of the fuselage in a few years.
This build is going to be a full "standard" build -8. We just love riveting that much :). I'm thinking about a Show Planes fastback, Grove main gear, an IO-390, Hartzell BA, and all the electric toys I can stuff in it. We're going to take this build a little slower and just enjoy the process in our new shop.
No, I didn't build the "wrong" airplane first! My freshly minted -9A (120 hrs so far) is a blast to fly and is a real traveling machine. It needs paint but I don't think I can let it go to the paint shop until I have something else to keep me occupied. I had fully intended to build a -10 next, until I found that 80% of my flight time ended up to be solo. When the -8 is done, we're planning on keeping both airplanes. Tanya will then take primary ownership of the -9A. Giddyup!
For what its worth, I really like your thought process.

Repeat offender

I'm going to give another full build log a shot with my second build. It is a good point that documenting a subsequent build could be more useful than the first. Sometimes we do end up with the blind leading the blind because those "in the know" are long since out having fun instead of struggling through the details. So, I'll give it another shot and see if I can maintain the discipline to keep it useful.
In the end, I like having all of my thoughts and pictures in one place where I can get to them. Also, Tanya commented that she liked being able to follow some of the tedium that she isn't involved in without having to get into a long boring conversation about the exciting stuff going on out in the garage.

Have parts, will rivet. (in a few more weeks once the shop is setup.)
http://rv8.card-net.org
Scott,
Glad to see that I have company in the RV 'Crazies' world. I know Barbara at Van's thinks that I am. Finishing up my 9A construction and already have an 8A sitting in the crates, in my garage, waiting for me. When the bug bites, it's deep. Standard wings, QB fuse; I've had enough of fuse building with the standard 9A. My logic is similar; probably 90% of my flying will be solo. My wife just never has the time to 'just go flying', as she says. She also does not like aerobatics.
Mike H 9A/8A

THINKER

My wife likes to call us "thinkers" instead of "dinks"

Two
Healthy
Incomes
No
Kids
Early
Retirement

Cheers

S & T,

Congratulations!! I know you will have a blast building and even more fun once the 8 is in the air. I am also told from other "repeat offenders" that the second one builds much faster which makes it even more fun. Given the quality of your and Tanya's first build I bet this one will be spectacular!!

I also have the bug to start another build--for many of the same reasons as you--most of my flying is solo--would like to be able to do aero if I want--etc. Janie and I would keep the 9a for trips. I have been thinking of an RV3 with an Eci IO320/James cowl/Catto/Dynon D180/minimal extras!! Time will tell--nonetheless, have fun and keep us updated.

Cheers,

db

Back