What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just got my RV-7 Preview Plans! The journey begins!

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
Hello all!
I am pretty new to the RV builders scene. I am currently a student pilot, working towards my PPL with about 33 hours under the belt.

Flying has been something I have ALWAYS wanted to do, but never could afford it. So, I saved up, and saved up, and pinched pennies until I had enough put back for lessons. Now, I have had airplanes on the brain (as my wife calls it) since I started flight training, and recently got the itch to build my own plane.

After looking at all the older planes for sale on the market, I decided I would have more fun building my own plane, than buying a "ready-to-go" certified plane. Plus, building gives me the financial freedom to pay as I go, and buy the kit in stages.

I have kind of settled on a taildragger, slider, RV-7. I am not sure if I want to do aerobatics just yet, since I am still nervous in the cockpit just maintaining normal maneuvers. But, having the ability to do so in the plane gives me the freedom to choose later on, if I decided to take some aerobatic lessons. I also wanted a side by side to make trips with my wife more enjoyable. An RV-10 would have been my dream choice, but I just don't have the budget for it. So, after looking and lurking on the forums, I have settled on an RV-7. I want a tail dragger because I want to do some grass strips, and I love the slider canopys.

I pulled the trigger and ordered my preview plans kit, as well as the Vans Story DVD. They showed up at my house yesterday, and I spent most of the evening reading through it. They are really well done!
I even brought them to my office, scanned them on our fancy document scanenr, and did some OCR on them. Now, I have excellent quality PDF's of the documents, that have been OCR'd and are completely searchable.
I am also going to use an old domain name I have had for years now as my online Build Log: www.theskunkwerx.com I will probably start working on the WordPress blog over the weekend, as of right now, its pretty blank.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I wanted to say "Howdy!" from Tennessee, and express my excitement to begin the build process!

Now, my first official question: Does it make sense to buy the Empennage Kit before you buy the tools? I will end up buying both the tail kit and a tool kit within the same year, but I was wondering if buying the tail kit first would give me a chance to see which tools I really needed, and how to best setup the shop?

Thanks, and I look forward to being a part of the community!

Welcome

Lynn, welcome to the best RV site on the planet. Good choice in the -7, slider.

We had a -6A slider and sold it to buy the -10 (my wife's idea!) and any time you're near the Augusta, Ga. area, PM me and we'll go fly the -10. I'm at 2J3.

Best,

Welcome

Welcome to the Forum and the Van's community!! I just started on my -7 this past March and have found this Forum to be an invaluable source of information. Most questions you have can be searched and answered but if you can't find what you are looking for just post the question and you will get a lot of great answers in no time.

As to your question, you must buy the tools before your empennage kit arrives!! If you don't you will go crazy within hours because you will want to start assembly. The price of a tool kit is small to retain your sanity....:D I went with the RV tool kit from Cleveland and have been very pleased. I did upgrade to the DRDT dimpler and went with a pneumatic squeezer.

Good luck!!

Bill Vinson
RV-7 Standard Build @ 225 hours
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index.php?user=DragonflyAer&project=2226

Does it make sense to buy the Empennage Kit before you buy the tools? I will end up buying both the tail kit and a tool kit within the same year, but I was wondering if buying the tail kit first would give me a chance to see which tools I really needed, and how to best setup the shop?

You don't need to order the Empennage before tools. Before you order, I would recommend the following.

Read chapter five in the preview plans about the tools Vans recommends. Then go to the tool vendors (Avery, Cleaveland, Brown, Isham, etc.) and compare their RV tool kits. A spreadsheet helps. They will be pretty close. Remember that 10,000 RV builders have gone before you so the vendors have a good idea of what's needed. Order one kit or build your own toolkit from what you've learned. You'll end up adding more so don't worry about getting a perfect list of tools.

Order the toolbox and airfoil practice kits from Van and build them.

Visit an EAA chapter and RV builder or two.

Read a wealth of information on VAF about tools.

I would say buy all the tools at once, piece ordering all the tools as you go will kill your wallet in multiple shipping charges. And Hi! enjoy the journey. expect Ups and Downs along the way.

welcome

Welcome Lynn. Good choice.
Others have given sage advise so I would add only a few.
Find a local builder and get your hands dirty. You will learn a lot, make friends and have fun.
Watch the EAA webinars and take a class if one is nearby.
Watch the Classifieds forum. Tools and RV7 components pop up often. The deals are always good but you have to be quick.
Ask about insurance for the tailwheel. You may need to get some time while building. Better to know now than get a surprise when she is ready to fly.

Lynn,
Still on for a look-see in December? Get in touch with me before buying tools. I may be ready to sell some. RV-7 taildragger--good choice. I had never ridden in any taildragger until a couple months before finishing mine.

Last edited:
Buy lots of #40 (silver) Clecos; you're going to need them. A hundred would not be too many, just to get started. You'll see what I mean when you get to the wings!

Lynn,
Still on for a look-see in December? Get in touch with me before buying tools. I may be ready to sell some. RV-7 taildragger--good choice. I had never ridden in any taildragger until a couple months before finishing mine.

You bet! I couldn't pass up a ride in an RV! I'll keep in touch with you and clear my schedule the next time you come through. It will be a few months before I am ready to buy tools. I still need to get some space cleared out in my garage. But, I will give you a shout and see if you have any for sale.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and great advice everyone. I am going to try to find some folks in my area to visit. I am not far from Knoxville and Chattanooga. Hopefully I can find someone whos in the build process that I can go help with. I am also going to stay on the lookout for any meet-ups and flyins.

I'm going to read over the first 5 chapters of the build manual tonight and tomorrow. Then start a Google Docs Spreadsheet that has a check-off of all the tools included in each kit, as well as what Van's recommends. After I search through the forums I will add a "Suggested Tools" column as well. I got WordPress spun up on my server this afternoon (www.theskunkwerx.com) and I have been looking over some of the plugins and tools that others have used for their build logs. Being a Linux admin, that kind of stuff is what I am good at, and its something I can do without having any kit to work on.

Last edited:
New Builder

Welcome aboard, just finishing up a 9a in Shepherdsville, KY(south of Louisville off I-65). Any time in the area you are welcome to stop by.
If not mistaken another builder in Benton-can't remember who it is.
Tools - you'll buy lots of tools so don't be bashful, just be a good shopper and do you're homework, prices will vary.
Yell if you need help. Some tools will be needed immediately, others will not, ie electrical stuff. All tools will become useful, woodworking included. Never met a tool that I didn't like.

Mike 109g6:rolleyes:

Welcome Lynn! There is alot of help on this forum, with MANY great people to guide you. This is a great project, and one that you will enjoy, and at times maybe get alittle frustrated with. I found its alot of little repetative things that make the assemblies. Organization is a big step. I studied the preview plans for a long time before I pulled the trigger, and am on the pay as I go plan.
Enjoy!
Tom

Newbie too

I'm with CubeRoot. I also bought the first kit- the preview plans! Great fun. Have not spent too much money yet. But I suppose the rest is coming. On the other hand, the less money in my pocket, the less the airplane will weigh when I fly....

welcome

I'm with CubeRoot. I also bought the first kit- the preview plans! Great fun. Have not spent too much money yet. But I suppose the rest is coming. On the other hand, the less money in my pocket, the less the airplane will weigh when I fly....

Welcome Manny.
Get started building!

Back