What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheelpant Repair - Fiberglass

7DeltaLima

Well Known Member
Hello all:

The Powertug slipped a few months ago and left a couple of gashes in the wheelpant. With the cold and ice, I thought it about time to repair.

I've laid up a couple of strips behind the gashes but how should I fill the hole? I have some Fiberfil that I've used and it's easy to work with but not sure if it is appropriate for this big of a gap. I built up the edges of the cabin in a couple of places with some cotton fiber / resin. Since the move, I have no clue where any of the cotton fiber is or if it made it from Iowa to Georgia.

Once the surface is smooth again, I'll have to drill the 1 inch or so hole for the tow bar to pass through again and I think the cotton fiber may just grab.

IMG_0896-XL.jpg

IMG_0897-XL.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Doug

If you just use filler it will likely crack, especially if you have the tow bar in there. You need cloth in there. Feather out the step around the edges and lay in some cloth. I find an angle air tool with a 2" disk works well for this. You can't have a butt joint. There needs to be overlap. Once that has cured you will have to trim the edges flush with the surface and fill imperfections as required. Again the die grinder is great for this. You want to try and keep the filler to a minimum because it is prone to cracking.

Exactly as Scott says...you want a scarf joint, so grind the edges back and lay in a few plies of glass. Either layup below will work. I'm partial to the second one.

Scarfed%20Repair.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys:

I've seen the diagram from Dan before but always focused on the first picture and while I've understood the concept, quite honestly could not fathom how you could actually execute multiple layers of cloth, cut precisely to fit working with the thin material we're working with.

I never really paid enough attention to the differences in the first versus second. Looking at the second diagram, I can execute this one. I understand the concept is cutting smaller pieces and building up accordingly.

Please correct me if I'm stating this wrong, but reality is that if I lay these cloths up overlapping the edges a bit (i.e each piece a bit smaller than the last but each piece at least as high as the original surface), when I sand back smooth with the original surface I'll accomplish layers as described in the diagram.

Regards,
Doug

Please correct me if I'm stating this wrong, but reality is that if I lay these cloths up overlapping the edges a bit (i.e each piece a bit smaller than the last but each piece at least as high as the original surface), when I sand back smooth with the original surface I'll accomplish layers as described in the diagram.

Regards,
Doug

Correct...

Correct. Actually, the sizes of the individual plies doesn't matter very much. This repair style is more than adequate for the composite loads placed on RV glasswork.

Scarf%20Joints.jpg

Key concepts are (1) the idea of using a sanding disk to cut the dished scarf in the original glasswork, and (2) NOT making repairs like D.

Last edited:
Ouch!

Doug, easy fix. Don't loose heart. Good advise provided above.
Couple of points, maybe all is already clear... or moot.

1. Epoxy won't adhere very well to any surface that isn't recently sanded / roughened. Inside or outside.

2. Mark the center of the existing holes before grinding away the exterior in prep for exterior plies. This will make re-drilling (re-locating) the hole a bit easier. Glass is mostly clear, a Sharpie mark on the inside surface will be visible from the outside after cure.

3. The thought of repairing / repainting four-color wheel pants drove me to a monochrome wheel pant scheme... and probably cost me a trophy.

4. How can we prevent this type of damage from recurring?

- Roger

All excellent points, especially the need to rough up existing epoxy. I think you avoid this happening by pulling on the prop and using the tow bar only for steering and making sure the towbar soring is good and stiff

Correct. Actually, the sizes of the individual plies doesn't matter very much. Below, A and B are really the same thing; both sand out to become C.

Key concepts are (1) the idea of using a sanding disk to cut the dished scarf in the original glasswork, and (2) NOT making repairs like D.

I hope this shows as well in the picture as it does in person. I did "B"and this is what "C" looks like after sanding. Thanks all for the direction and guidance.

I had a "chunk out" around the tire. I built up a solid backing and then laid up 4 layers of cloth which you can see feathered in after I sanded it back down.

IMG_0903-L.jpg

This one is the one where the Powertug slipped and gashed the wheelpant. Same scenario .... built up with 3 or 4 layers of cloth then sanded back down.

IMG_0904-L.jpg

Thanks again.
Doug

Finished product

Picked the wheelpant up from the paint shop and it turned out great. One note as was pointed out to me earlier is to consider the number of colors on the wheel pants. A bit more involved by having the four colors that the paint guys had to deal with.....

Regardless - turned out pretty good.

IMG_0908-L.jpg

Thanks again for the help and guidance.
Doug

Picked the wheelpant up from the paint shop and it turned out great.
Thanks again for the help and guidance. Doug

It is a great pleasure when the student does such a fine job. Those are textbook, aerospace, steely-eyed missile man scarf joints! if you don't mind, I'm going to upload them, and then drag 'em out the next time somebody asks how to do it.

Question for Doug....

In post #1 you mentioned backing the hole with a couple of strips. Were those necessary for your repair or did you have to cut them out to make the scarf. I can visualize a situation where the backing strips could be helpful either in place or not. I'm just curious what you did.

If you left them in, did you fuss over the curved nature of the wheel pant?

And lastly...I'm glad you asked this question. I might have been tempted to mix up some epoxy and flox to do the repair rather than scarfing and laying on new layers.

As discussed elsewhere, it is not advisable to push/pull on a CS prop.

Bevan
Ok. I'll bite. Since when can I not push or pull a plane (single, normal human strength) with the root of any prop? Take out ring scratches and claw marks. Then relate to the movement of the plane under power.

Back