What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3i Feedback on IO-540

G3i Ignition feedback (Multiple selections required)

• Good experience with G3i Magneto trigger system

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Good experience with G3i crank trigger system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average experience with G3i Magneto trigger system

• Average experience with G3i crank trigger system

• Bad experience with G3i Magneto trigger system

• Bad experience with G3i crank trigger system

• Used an adjustable system timer

• NO adjustable system timer used

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Series 1 System Used

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Series 2 System Used

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am about to embark on the electronic ignition path. I have personally reduced it down to the G3i system, however, before I pull the trigger on this, I would like feedback from those out there who have a G3i setup on the IO-540 to provide some feedback.

1. Which trigger mechanism did you go with?
  2. Would you go with it again?
  3. Was it worth it?
  4. Any problems or suggestions?

Please note, I am after feedback on the G3i ignition system only as this is what I have narrowed it down to based on my requirements. Feedback on this system only will greatly help.

No one?

Is there no one that wants to comment here?

I am sure there are users out there who would like to add their experience to the mix.

SInce I was the lone poll respondent, I'll comment.

The G3i ignition seems to work as advertised. Pretty straight forward to install. Thomas has always been there to provide support, even when issues weren't caused by G3i.

I'm still too early in Phase I to make more specific comments. By the time I'm done, I should be able to comment on the impact of running with and without the ignition enabled.

You may want to send Thomas and email asking for other IO-540 references. I do think he has a larger install base on IO-360s.

bob

Hello Andrew:

I've been very happy with the G3I solution. I have 325+ hours on the RV10 utilizing the G3I system. I have the series 1 solution. I was probably an early adopter and Thomas has always been very helpful answering any questions that I had with the system from concept to installation.

Based upon my experience with this system, I would make the same choice again. I will look to add this to my RV7A at some point in the future.

Regards,
Doug

We put one on my buddies IO-360 Cozy MKIV and it works great. He lowered his fuel burn by .8 - .9 gph at cruise.

And the excellent information continues

Thanks guys... the more the merrier.

This sort of information I think is very important.

At present there is a lot of information on the various systems and I think one of the issues with the forum is that there is so much information it is hard to decipher.

To make the process a little clearer it is sometimes good to separate and confirm the one direction. Thanks to all in advance.

Only fired up the engine once

But with the G3I on, it only took two turns of the prop for the engine to fire on new oil on a cold day. My tech advisor said the engine sounded very strong. So my experience has been great so far and Thomas has always answered my questions and was very patient with me and my ignorance :)

Back