What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AHRS

dhmoose

Well Known Member
Hi y'all,
I'm getting ready to mount a single AFS AHRS in the top of the -10 tailcone above and behind the battery. Does anyone have any pics that show their installation? A search of the forums showed many large, dated designs (no offense :eek:). The new AFS AHRS is very light and doesn't seem to need much support, but I'm looking for a rigid, simple, and serviceable mounting.

Thanks!
David

Installed

Did you consider Vans mounting kit? (http://goo.gl/xQC0LX)

Not only have I considered this approach, I actually installed the tray when building the tailcone 3 years ago! However, the AFS instructions do not want the AHRS unit close to the battery, rudder cables, pitch trim servo, etc and the tray seems too close to all three things! Figured I'd go 2 feet up into the tailcone to get away from those things.

Thanks for the idea though!
David

IMAG0471.jpg

Bent all one piece with the exception of the 4 corner gussets.

Very stable in all directions and VERY light.

Make it rigid

Hello David,

I did something similar as is posted above except I used a piece of aluminum angle from Lowes instead of fabricating a mounting bracket. It's been fine with the old Gold magnetometer. However, I've had to replace the "Gold" with the new "Red" AHRS & Magnetometer and with the AHRS mounted back there you will want this to be rigid.

I've just replaced this last night and flew and with the Red AHRS / Magnetometer my setup isn't rigid enough. I think I'll go back and add a brace from the bracket to the stringers as someone shows above. Unless it's rigid and with the AHRS mounted to it instead of being built into the EFIS, your artificial horizon will be "nervous". I haven't asked or looked to see if there is any "smoothing" setting in the EFIS that would correct this light bouncing.

Just something to think about as it's easier to access now than later....

Doug

Back