What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

North Texas fuel stop ?

7DeltaLima

Well Known Member
Hey folks,
Heading out from Muscatine, IA to San Antonio either late tomorrow or early Friday. I'm looking for a fuel stop somewhere around Paris, TX that has a restroom available after hours. We've stopped in Paris a couple times but no restroom after hours so doesn't work quite as well for mom as dad.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Try Sherman Municipal, TX (SWI), 57 nm straight west of Paris. They usually have the cheapest SS fuel in N Texas and the small terminal building has a combo lock for rest room access.

If Sherman is no bueno, there's Sulphur Springs (SLR) and Mount Pleasant (OZA) nearby to the S and SE. Both have decent facilities, SS fuel and appear to have after hours building access.

http://www.cityofsherman.com/airport_dept.asp

http://www.sulphurspringsairport.com/

http://www.mountpleasantairport.com/airport.htm

Try F14, Wichita Valley in Wichita Falls, TX

Every other week I fly from Dallas, TX to N. Central Kansas and back (450+ Nautical miles). My fuel stop/bathroom break in the RV-4 is F14, Wichita Valley, TX. One nice paved runway and two grass strips so winds are never an issue. Currently their gas is $3.69 and their restroom area is big, has a WX computer, free phone and is never locked, even though it is not staffed. About another 2 hours to San Antonio from there.

And the airport owners are great people and RV-4, and RV-10 owners!

Have a great flight!

Rusk, Texas

Henderson County, KRFI is worth the trip. May be a little out of your way but fuel is $3.29, subsidized by working oil wells on the airport property. Nice folks, restroom and computer service.

2nd vote for Sherman

Sherman (KSWI) is the right spot if you're looking for North Texas. Fuel was $3.38 a few days ago when I was there. Easy in, easy out, and the building/bathrooms are always clean.

Before picking SLR, you might want to check Notams. Last time I was there (a few weeks ago), the airport was a mess because of a runway project. It really seemed like they had minimal landing/takeoff capability just to keep the local tenants flying.

Last edited:
Sherman is good. An alternative is Gainesville (GLE) - it isn't the absolute cheapest, but a nice terminal that always seems to be open and always a good price on 100LL. Crosswind runway for strong E or W winds.

TODR

Thanks....

.... for the options guys. I left Muscatine, IA yeserday afternoon planning for F14. Looked like going a little further West was going to be the best bet at working the weather.

Mr Thunder and Miss Lightning decided that F14 wasn't going to work. We ended up a little more East and stopped for fuel at KRKR, Poteau, OK. We've stopped there a few times in the past but the -10 seems to have a little longer legs than the 7A. I prefer to get as far on the first leg as possible before stopping, hence looking for a different fuel stop.

Rolled into KRKR, Castroville, TX last night around 10. IMHO, Having weather in the plane is required for long cross country trips. Smooth ride the whole way. It was interesting to see the lightning bouncing around from a long distance away at night.

Doug

Back