What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-290 Gee it's hard to find parts!

Red Voodoo

Well Known Member
Okay, I know I?ve got myself an orphan here, but before throwing up my hands in dismay, I wanted to tap into the engine knowledge with which VAF is so blessed. Some time back, I acquired an O-290G, disassembled and partly converted to aircraft use. By partly, I mean the mounting points were modified for conical mounts, the big flange on the front was removed, and a 2-mag accessory case was included. I know about the scarcity of parts for this engine, but I also know there?s a lot of arcane knowledge on in VAF. So, here goes. Does anyone know of a source for valves (particularly exhaust) for the GPU mill? How about piston rings? While I?m at it, is there any commonality (other than displacement) between the ?G? and ?D? versions of the 290?
I got this engine REALLY cheap, so I want to take a shot at building it up to power an RV-9A (maybe and RV-3). Please, only comments that are intended to be helpful; we all know the downsides to the O-290G. Any information will be appreciated.
And yes, I DO enjoy a challenge!:)

Couple of ideas.

Check Barnstormers. I see 0290's for sale quite a bit on there. Perhaps you can find one cheap for a donor.
The other thought is to try the engine rebuild guys, like Aerosport. See if they have any they might part with.
I can not help you with the commonality question. Good luck.

ECI now sells .010 over rings for the O-290 but that is the only part they sell.

My O-290-D2 has .010 over pistons and the cylinders have been honed to accept them.

For pistons you can upgrade to the helicopter pistons that also used the same cylinders as the O-290. If I remember right, these will bump you to 7.5 to 1 or there about.

Make sure the accessory case has the pad cut out for the fuel pump; otherwise you will have to replace it with one from an O-320 (same part). You will also need the cam gear w/ the cam lobe and the push rod. (Sorry, don't have my OH manual with me to look up the part numbers.)

Locating a carburetor may be your biggest problem. I bought mine from an airboat builder (Outlaw Aircraft Engines) in Florida. I then sent it off for an aviation overhaul and haven?t had a problem with it. $550 for the carb and $650 for the overhaul.

My engine did not come with any mags, thus my selection of duel P-mags.

As for differences between the ?G? and the others, I might get this wrong so look it up. Compression is higher on the -D2 and the D2 has hydraulic lifters; those are the biggest differences.

Check with Del Reno for O-290 parts. They are out there, you just need to find them.

Truth is, I wouldn?t try converting a G to aircraft use but at the same time, I wouldn?t (didn?t) shy away from a -D2 aircraft engine.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Ben
I had a long conversation a good while back with Gary Barber at Outlaw Aircraft Engines(an airboat guy mostly) because I was considering doing this too. He says that the case can be reworked easily(and fairly cheap) to acccept a O-320 crank and cylinders. He said the old O-290 crank prop flange is really thin and he wouldn't recommend using one for an aircraft propeller. He also said he had most of the stuff to make one of these engines or he would just sell the parts if I wanted to do it. I bet he has lots of O-290 parts too. I don't know anything about the guy but he says he's done it many times with good results and reliability(of course, using them on airboats). If this is true, it would be possible to use a overhauled crank and low compression pistons with O-320 jugs and come up with a good reliable autofuel capable 150 horse lyc. He seemed to really know alot about Lycomings when I talked to him. I'm not sure about the rods but I believe you'd have to get O-320 rods too. All easy to find, even on Ebay.
For my plane, I ended up finding a airboat with a O-320. Bought that and resold the boat and trailer and accesories after robbing the engine. Ended up with a 400 dollar engine. Most of the stuff came back good from the O/H place but the crank and cam were shot so I ended up spending a good bit on it but I still have less than 8g in a certifiable overhauled engine (not including my labor). It started life as a 160 horse engine but it's a low compression 150 horse now with brand new jugs.
FWIW
Jim Poe

Personally I've had a very bad experience with Gary Barber and wouldn't recommend buying anything from him. He knows his lycomings, definitely. But I wouldn't recommend buying from him, he doesn't call it outlaw for no reason. You might try aeroinstock.com for parts that you don't have. My $.02 for ya.

Jon, Bill, Jim, and Joe,

Thanks for all the input. I'm in no way locked into the idea of using this engine, but I want to do my homework regarding the feasibility of doing so. You've all given me food for thought. If anyone else wants to chime in, I'm listening!

Flown that -9 yet Jim?;)

My "to do" list has only 22 items left and I can't seem to get time to do them. I've been working out of state. I'm going to hit it again this weekend. Had 9/1 as FF day but it's slipping now that I have to work out of state every week for the next month or so. Engine runs all done and taxi checks done. Work just really gets in the way of building airplanes. Canopy work is the big thing left. It's fighting me pretty hard. I had to drill out the front frame splice and make some new parts to get it to fit the contour of the fwd fuse. The plans want you to assemble this early in the program(so I did) and it really shouldn't be drilled until it is fit to the fuselage. I'll send you a pic after I work on it today. The upholstery guy should be finished with my seats on Monday.
BTW, I've also heard some bad things about the way Outlaw does business but the knowledge about "mods" to Lycomings and what will fit on what engine was impressive to me. He is not good about answering emails,,,you have to call him if you want to talk to him. He is very close to Lakeland so it's not too far from you. I asked him if I could come see his shop and he was not too warm about that idea. Maybe things change? If I hadn't found the airboat, I'd probably have gone down there to see what he had to offer. (airboattrader.com is where I found the airboat) I've learned that when it comes to big ticket items, that face to face is the best way to do business with everyone. Know what you're looking at and see what you will buy with your own eyes and don't give up the cash until the delivery. I'm an inspector you know, so I don't just give my trust, it must be proven to be earned. It seems from just the post on this website that alot of people have been burned by their trust in others. It's a shame but a fact of life I guess. I've looked a alot of used airplanes listed for sale that were 8/8 but they were 2/2 when I actually looked at them. Some of them were actually dangerous.

Time to go sweat in the hangar some more.
JP

Bobby's Planes & Parts

You might try Bobby's Planes & Parts in Mineral Wells, TX. He has two giant warehouses full of Lycoming parts and engines cores. Use his private runway and taxi up to the door.

Even if you don't need parts, you got to see this place.

Nicest guy you will ever meet.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

O-290

If you do end up with O-290 Cyls., make sure that you replace the 7/16th in. exhaust valves with 1/2 in. sodium filled valves. The old ones were known to "swallow" exhaust valves quite regularly.

I bought 3 cylinder assemblies and other 290 parts from Gibson Aviation in OK City back in the day. Good people, service and prices. Check TAP for contact info.

Steve

Back