What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom: install mono, stereo, or both?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I have the Flightcom 403 intercom that provides for three installation methods:

1. a mono-only mode for the use of mono headsets.
2. a stereo-only mode that requires stereo headsets.
3. a mono/stereo mode that allows either mono or stereo headset but requires an extra switch be installed that can be switched between mono or stereo appropriate to the headset being used.

I have no interest in adding in that extra switch (which would have to be mounted somewhere) as well as all of that extra wiring.

Is it reasonable to just wire it for stereo and assume that I'll always be using headsets that are stereo capable? How are others installing the 403? (I've never seen an RV panel with that extra stereo/mono switch installed).

Thanks.

I have the same intercom in my 6, and I wired it for stereo with the switches. Not all aviation headsets are set up for stereo, and plugging in a mono headset with the system hard wired in stereo will cause a loud tone and it will not work correctly. It does mean an additional hole for the switch, but the extra wiring is only between the switch and the jack. I mounted mine on the bulkhead behind the seats above the armrests since I don't care for having headset wires running between me and the instrument panel.

I installed the little mono/stereo switch.. looks fine when used with that faceplate they provide with the intercom. It's sometimes needed as some headsets may not work properly (it's kinda explained in instructions)... Additional wiring is very, very minimal.

PS.. jacks are not in the panel, so it wasn't a big deal esthetically..

Seems to me that most of the headsets that I see advertised these days are stereo.

You might consider that in your plans-------I.E. later upgrading of headsets, etc.

Seems to me that most of the headsets that I see advertised these days are stereo.

You might consider that in your plans-------I.E. later upgrading of headsets, etc.
This was my thinking. My old David Clarks are stereo, as are (it seems) all (?) of the ANR headsets. How about the newer Halo/Clarity Aloft type--I assume they are stereo as well?

The other reason I'd like to avoid adding that mono/stereo switch is because of where I'm locating my jacks. There's just enough room for both jack's to fit comfortably, but not enough really to add the switch. It would have to be located somewhere else.

This was my thinking. My old David Clarks are stereo, as are (it seems) all (?) of the ANR headsets. How about the newer Halo/Clarity Aloft type--I assume they are stereo as well?

The other reason I'd like to avoid adding that mono/stereo switch is because of where I'm locating my jacks. There's just enough room for both jack's to fit comfortably, but not enough really to add the switch. It would have to be located somewhere else.

My Halo headset is stereo too. I did almost wire everything straight stereo. I installed the switches because I had room and I wanted passengers to be able to use their own headsets (if they had them) even if they weren't stereo.

Install stereo! If you don't install the mono/stereo switch, all you have to do is make sure MONO headsets are NOT plugged in all the way--that is plug in to the first notch. Then you only engage one set of contacts and not squeal.

I installed the stereo option only with an aux for iPod input.
On my David Clark non-stereo headsets, I hear from both ears.
My 3 cheap headsets, I only hear from one side.

Another jack location option for tip up installations.
dsc00391smallxf2.jpg

Ben, yep, I got the two confused. Same basic story line, one was TV, other a movie, IIRC.

FYI, it is "Trecker", not Treckie:)

Back