What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's mis-rivet my F-904 bulkhead?

Jeff R

Well Known Member
I tend to skip around when I am building. I will build up to a point where I need to prime or when I mess up something and have to wait for a replacement part, etc. Anyway, today I am finally bolting the forward and aft F-904center bulkheads for the first time and find the two holes for the 1/4" bolts don't align. Upon closer inspection, it appears that one of the 3/16" rivets in the pre-riveted top flange of the aft 904 was driven into the wrong hole. According to the plans, the 12th hole over from each side should be the bolt hole. On the right side for mine, though, that 12th hole has a rivet and the adjacent hole, which I think ought to have a rivet, doesn't. So, the two sides of the aft bulkhead are not symmetrical and does not match the open hole/riveted hole pattern of the forward bulkhead, which is symmetrical.

I presume I need to drill out the rivet and, what, add an AN3 bolt/washer/nut to the hole that should have had the rivet?? Anyone have this happen to them?

Jeff,

I have the same problem on my F-904. I came to the same conclusion you did about the way to fix it....drill out the extra rivets and use AN3 bolts where there aren't rivets. I'm curious....what is the serial number on your spar? Mine is from the first batch of 9A spars #014. Is yours from an early batch, too?

Same Here

I had virtually the same issue. There was a rivet where a bolt was to be installed eventually. I carefully drilled it out, and all was well. Mine is a fairly early spar; don't know the number, but my kit was #90217.

Back