What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you call a group of RV's?

bruceh

Well Known Member
You've probably heard a variety of collective nouns for various animals, like a Pride of Lions, or Flock of Geese, or an Ostentation of Peacocks, or a Murder of Crows.

I found a big list online of these and was wondering who here could come up with a good one for RV's.

A simple one would be a Flight of RV's, or how about a Fleet of RV's?

What about an "Assembly of RV's" (pun intended, since these planes are homebuilt from parts)?

Let's see who can come up with a really good one.

Hmm, what to call a large group of RVs. Freakin' awesome? :)

I have heard them called "ramp fleas". When I go to Oshkosh there's a FIELD of RVs, but that's only when they're parked. "Formation" would work part of the time. "Assembly" is good, I like that.

Horde

Horde of RV's.

Then you can walk around Osh and yell "For the Horde!" and look at the confusion on peoples faces when they think that you think you are at some WoW gathering.

For the Horde!

Xavier

A Group of RVs?

That would be a "Butt-Crack Squadron".

Only the "seasoned" members will understand this.

Last edited:
Group of RVs

Maybe it depends on whether they are flying or on the ground.
Flying...Gaggle
Ground...Group
Oh wait, they're awesome either way.

I just always thought they were called a "Formation". Look, there goes a formation of RVs!

~Marc
You're welcome... ;-)

I would say a "Copperstate" , a "SunNfun", or an "Oshkosh" depending on the size of the group.

For example, we flew into Johnson Creek and there was a Copperstate of RV's parked there.

Or ... We went to Flo's Cafe but had to wait outside because there was an Oshkosh of RVers already inside.

Gaggle - not a complementary term

From the Team RV Formation Training Guide-
GAGGLE: An undisciplined group of aircraft, milling about in roughly the same piece of sky, sometimes attempting to impersonate a FORMATION.

This same meaning of the word was used in my 20+ year military flying career. One would not want to be associated with a gaggle if the respect of one's peers and superiors was the least bit important.

The term is applied to geese when they are on the ground milling about, feeding, etc. Once airborne they assume a formation. The term also generally applies to any disorderly group.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

I think most of us like and enjoy this site - so why not name a group of RV's as either Van's Airforce, or RV Airforce, as a tribute to this site?

Another idea, the Navy calls their groups of planes squadrons, so I like RV Squad!!

Bob

Used to call ourselves a flight an in a "flight of 3". Now we call ourselves a party as in a "party of 3" because we are always having more fun than the others.

What about "Pack". Since RV fliers, in SOME circles, are considered the "bad boys" of general aviation and their aircraft airborne "Harley-Davidson's". Go with "Pack" :D

But I do like what was said about Element, Flight, Group, etc... depending upon number of aircraft involved.

A Pack of Hershey Bars

acft5v.png

If no one has said it yet:

A Vanguard

van?guard

noun

1. a group of people leading the way in new developments or ideas.
"the experimental spirit of the modernist vanguard"

2. a position at the forefront of new developments or ideas.
"the prototype was in the vanguard of technical development"

Back