What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Belts

scorwin

Any preferences for seat belts in the -10? A quick search shows Hooker Harness vs Crow for front seats, but what about the back?

I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old, will be in car seats for a little while longer, but then eventually of course into booster. Any thoughts on back seat belts, especially for kids?

Thanks

I know I’ll frustrate many I’m sure, but after installing the Crow seatbelts (the hooker’s are no different), I wish I hadn’t.

here’s why - they’re overkill. I’m sorry, but I’m not doing acro in my -10. They’re uncomfortable. The goal of the 10 was to be a comfortable cross country machine. I hate these **** 4 point harnesses. I wish i installed automotive seatbelts. Seems unlikely that i’d have a better chance of survival with crow versus automotive style.

My $0.02, your mileage may vary.
Charlie

Hooker, same as the other three builds. Five point in the rear (a must for kid seats).

More than once I was happy to have the Hooker belts. It can get bumpy over the mountains.

Carl

Seatbelts

I installed the Crow belts and have been 100% happy with them. I had a Cherokee with inertia reel belts and found the constant tension of the shoulder belt very uncomfortable, in fact I only used it for TO and landing. The Crow belts stay slack unless I tighten them down in turbulence and they're very secure in that case. I have young kids as well and they find the rotary buckles easy to operate by themselves. One is still in a booster and they're both comfortable with the belts. The one gripe I have is that the rotary buckle is bulky and can get in the way of the stick when full aft unless it's snugged up. I installed a crotch belt in the front seats to help keep the buckle well positioned. They came with the crow 5pt harnesses already, so it was no additional cost.

I fly a Cirrus with 4 point harnesses in the front, and I find it FAR more comfortable than the "automotive-style" restraints in the PA-28s I flew previously. And there's absolutely no comparison in turbulence.

My -14 will have 5 point harnesses, for sure. (My complaint about 4 points is that the buckle tends to ride up with movement.)

Me too. Crow. They seem to work well but I have the older style rotary-knob kam locks, which I'm not crazy about - likely will upgrade to the new lever version when I get a chance if that's possible. Original builder put in the crotch straps, I removed them while I had the floor out for the condition inspection.

Last edited:
Kids in back seats

My biggest concern is the kids in the back seats. So the 5 point ones that anyone sells will be ok? Especially with car seats.

I went on Vans Website and the store only has rear seat belts listed. I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what I'm missing

Thanks for the points. Keep them coming!

Back