What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil suction screen installation

exercise

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

This is my first time installing the oil suction screen(with crush washer) and I can't figure out why the screen won't just fall out of the plug when I screw in the plug. The tubular screen fits loosely into the plug and easily falls out if I tip it upside down. Both ends of the screen are the same diameter. When using a dowel as a feeler(suggested elsewhere), I do feel something at about the same distance at where the oil screen would be fully screwed in. Is that what holds the screen? Should I gently expand the end of the screen that goes in the plug so that it doesn't fall out as I screw in the plug/screen and hope the other end seats properly? Or should I use the long dowel as a guide and slide the tubular screen along that to reach its internal seat and then screw in the plug?

The screen sits on seat/recess inside the sump.

If it goes in and you can tighten the big nut to finger tight and be close to the final seated position you will be fine.

No guides or external assistance should be required.

Question for Gil

Safety wiring the oil suction screen plug on my RV7A is a right royal pain in the bum...it's just so congested in there. My biggest fear is that I'll get the plug all installed and wired up but that it will then weep oil as others have reported from time to time.

Gil, do you ever use a bit of Fuel Lube or something else on the copper crush washer to minimise the chance of oil seepage from the plug.

Also what is the recommended safety wire size for this plug. I've heard others recommend .032" but mine came from AeroSport Power with .025".

The tiny drilled holes in the castings for safetying get beat up and sometimes torn right out. You'll see lot of the safety holes for oil filters torn out. Lighter safety wire makes them last longer so I use lighter wire on a lot of the plugs. Easier too. You can twist it with you fingertips.

Safety wiring the oil suction screen plug on my RV7A is a right royal pain in the bum...it's just so congested in there.

Cut and replace the safety wire on your dipstick tube about once - then the oil screen wire won't seem so bad! :D

Back