What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What cabin setup do you have for your Ipad?

Denok

Patron
I tried to fly with my Ipad using the IPRO Aviator kneeboard and although it's a very well built unit, I found it to be very cumbersome and not ideal for the (somewhat) small RV cockpit. What are RV pilots using for kneeboard and/or mounts.:rolleyes:

iPad Mini and all of your problems are solved. Make sure to get a cellular version so it has the WAAS GPS chipset in it.

Ipad mini me too

I have a ipad mini since 2 week. Perfect size. Use it with foreight for enroute and approach plate on me knee. I love it. I had the same feelinf as you with the full size ipad.

Mike. I have the same settup for my Bonanza. Works very well but is a little on the expensive side!

Here's mine. It's perfect for me.
I also installed the iPhone/iPad USB charging port, it's a great addition to my panel. It's hiding behind the iPad.
http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html
I use a ram mount blind riveted to the channel that runs vertically up from the spar.

imagealuj.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see, I have not left the garage with mine yet, but have mounted it with a Ram mount. It appears that it will be in an ideal location for me.
r6zgpv.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a Samsung Tab7 (7 inch tablet) and have a RAM Mount attached to the left side of the cockpit. I didn't like the mounts on the right side of the cockpit becasue I'd have to lean over to reach it. In turbulence it can be challenging to type in an airport name or re-arrange the flight plan with the arm extended. Because it's on the left side, it's at my fingertips : )

Mike. I have the same settup for my Bonanza. Works very well but is a little on the expensive side!

That's my mount of choice, too. And you can take that anyway you want. ;D

Expensive but worth more!

"Flying" magazine May 2013

Les Abend wrote a good article about the approval process for using iPads in 777s by his airline and the FAA. The approved mounting system is FAA approved 9G velcro on a Kleenex box cover and the iPad.

Sounds about like a lot of us would come up with for our RVs.

Oh, and I wonder where you get that 9G velcro?

I liked RFazio's layout, so I took the plunge and installed the RAM IPad mount in my 6. I mounted it to the cover of the map box. I can actually still use the box w/ the IPad removed, so no lost real estate, but I'm looking for the perfect latch for the box cover. I've temporarily used painter's tape to keep the cover closed and tested it to 21/2Gs :)

RAMmountedIPadinRV-6A.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IPadinflight.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imagefjo.jpg

this has been working out quite well. i like it better on my side of the cockpit better. one feature that i like a lot is the ifr route searches and being able to put in a vor, then victor airway and have it fill in the entire route. :)

Try upgrading it to the next model... Then you'll see expensive... :)

I have a flip-over case that I fold back behind the iPad when in use. I find that my kneeboard can grab that cover behind the iPad reasonably well, and the whole thing sits nicely on my right leg (RV-6, manual flaps). In that location I get good GPS coverage too, at least as far as i've noticed so far... I don't spend a *lot* of time staring at it while flying. :)

Last edited:
imagefjo.jpg

this has been working out quite well. i like it better on my side of the cockpit better. one feature that i like a lot is the ifr route searches and being able to put in a vor, then victor airway and have it fill in the entire route. :)

I like it.

Now, what are the part numbers of the mounts? HOW did you get the Garmin X96 mounted below the iPad mini?

I presently have a 396 mounted in your location and this is the first example that I am willing to copy.

Just added one to my -4

A few years ago I installed a home-made EFIS in my -4 (Windows 486 computer with 7" touchscreen running Mountainview and Falconview--a military mapping program). But I finally concluded that Foreflight and WingX were both more capable than what I was working on.

So I went from this:

squeezepanalold.JPG

To this:

squeezepanalnew.JPG

Went to Florida and back last weekend and the set-up is working better than expected. The new hazard advisor funtion on Foreflight is quite nice.

-Matt
402BD

Last edited:
ok, gary and gary. i will get some good pics in about a week when i get back to florida. so, the original bracket is from an old gps that had a swivel and pivot mount. off that came a bracket that was flat on the top with a 45 degree bend down. the 495 mount is bolted to the bottom of the 45 degree piece. the ram mount ball is bolted to the top and forward piece of the flat part with the ram mount completing the mini mount. i will get a good pic later. :)

I admire the nerve of a guy who owns an aeroplane & describes his wife as expensive. I guess she's not a regular reader of these forums...

here is my setup. ;);)
img1658a.jpg

img1657ib.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

I know the parts from the ball up through the iPad and the X96 mount. My questions are:

1. How and what attaches the assembly to the airplane? (I see something that looks like a "wingnut". What are the parts that it comes in contact with?)
2. What is the piece that looks like black aluminum that runs down and the X96 is attached to?

Note: My 396 is mounted in the same location as your iPad on a similar assembly that you have going up from the Ball.

Thanks in advance for the additional info.

gary, that is a good question. that gps mount is from the 90's. the gps was a magellian or something like that. cant remember. maybe someone here will remember. it would probably be hard to get one anyways. it swivels up and down and side to side. :):)

Ipad in Cockpit

Mounted my full size iPad 3 on the 6A panel with the last upgrade. Used a Ram Mount that bolts to the panel. Added USB power behind the panel and also have audio from iPad into audio panel. This allows me to listen to iTunes playlist as well as hear ForeFlight audio. I am very happy with setup and performance, with the exception that while running ForeFlight the battery charger cannot keep up and it does discharge, and I do have the 2.1 amp output charger. I was worried about being able to see the display in mid day sun, but being mounted on the panel the glare shield does a good job.

Pictures at this link: http://rv6apanel.shutterfly.com/pictures/13

Mounted my full size iPad 3 on the 6A panel with the last upgrade. Used a Ram Mount that bolts to the panel. Added USB power behind the panel and also have audio from iPad into audio panel. This allows me to listen to iTunes playlist as well as hear ForeFlight audio. I am very happy with setup and performance, with the exception that while running ForeFlight the battery charger cannot keep up and it does discharge, and I do have the 2.1 amp output charger. I was worried about being able to see the display in mid day sun, but being mounted on the panel the glare shield does a good job.

Pictures at this link: http://rv6apanel.shutterfly.com/pictures/13

Brian:

Unable to see your pictures. I get this message: "The owner has made this site private."

Picture of ipad in RV6

Not sure what the issue is with Shutterfly...have the preferences set to anyone can view.

Let's try Photo Bucket:

DSCN3664_zps7b579575.jpg

DSCN3668_zps90fc33c0.jpg

shutterfly is workn fine here on my mac. :cool:

is there an auto pilot in there some where?

do you have anything open that may be using your power?

img1181copyv.jpg

Last edited:
shutterfly is workn fine here on my mac. :cool:

is there an auto pilot in there some where?

do you have anything open that may be using your power?

img1181copyv.jpg

Yes, the far left EFIS is then Dynon D10A. The 6 had a Blue Mountain with AP controller and 2 servos, but started having problems with the BM booting up so yanked it and put the D10A in the same hole. Next upgrade planned is Dynon AP controller and a couple servos.

SOP for me is to shut down all programs on the iPad except ForeFlight. I do leave the cell radio on and with AT&T I am surprised at the reception that I routinely get even at 3,000 MSL. I do have the backlight maxed out and ForeFlight set to never shut off. I need to take an hour or two flight at night where I can turn the backlight down and see if its internal battery can keep up.

Ipad mount

This is what my panel looks like BEHIND the iPad. I built an aluminum frame that I screwed to the back of the panel, then used 3M dual lock to attach a Speck Soft Shell in the cutout. The iPad can be removed by itself or with the soft shell. I used the soft shell because I didn't want the Dual Lock tape on the ipad when I took it out. This is a VFR setup, but I posted this just to show how the ipad was mounted in the panel. As it exists now I cannot access the recharging port under the ipad. I plan on cutting a small opening on the bottom of the panel to accommodate recharging inflight. The USB charging port is just above the ignition key.

Jim
N444JT flying

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

I know the parts from the ball up through the iPad and the X96 mount. My questions are:

1. How and what attaches the assembly to the airplane? (I see something that looks like a "wingnut". What are the parts that it comes in contact with?)
2. What is the piece that looks like black aluminum that runs down and the X96 is attached to?

Note: My 396 is mounted in the same location as your iPad on a similar assembly that you have going up from the Ball.

Thanks in advance for the additional info.

Gary, the GPS mount is from a lowrance unit I had back in the 90s.

Back