What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Center Section Interchangeability?

mattsrv7

Well Known Member
Does anyone know when the RV-7 center sections (year or serial #) and main wing spars became interchangeable (i.e. you don't need a matched set)?

I have QB fuselage and thought I saw a letter in the paperwork with this info. but can't find it.

I haven't had a chance to call Van's during their support hours and figure someone here has asked the same question. I couldn't manage to find it via search functions so a link to a prior thread would be great.

Last edited:
Not sure this will be of any help...

I purchased my slow build RV-7 wing kit in January 2018. The center section and wing spars are numbered to be a matched set. Being new to the build, I am not aware of being able to interchange these parts with others.

The easiest thing to do to get a correct answer is to email the Van’s guys - they can tell you exactly. Anything you get here will be second hand (unless a Van’s guy answers). Email is easy to do any time of day, and responses are usually within a couple of days.

And to answer your question - I don’t know, I’d have to ask Van’s....

Wing and center section

I read somewhere they were interchangable becuase of the precision of the CnC process but I don't remember where I read it. For something that important, you want the factory opinion.

The Van's tech support email has an automated message they are out of the office due to Sun 'n Fun.

Talked with Eric at Van?s today about this topic. All RV-7 wings are interchangeable. I asked Because I?m thinking of keeping my 2004 wings that I?m building and are currently for sale on here. And possibly selling my completed wings that came with the project I just bought.

Back in 2013, I asked Sterling Langrell about this RE my RV-8 2nd-hand QB wings. He said that RV-3/4/6 had to have matched wing spars and center section bulkheads. But, everything since did not.

MY center section had a different number than the spars, so I contacted Van's. I was told that they were now effectively interchangeable.

Hope so because they're built now, but not yet assembled. And this was for my RV-3B with the gold-colored spars.

Dave

Back