What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad mount and powering

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am looking to re-do my panel and use a mounted iPad vice buying something like a sky view. My question comes to powering the iPad. Looking on Spruce there are a couple of USB changes with significant price range depending on whether you just wire right to the electrical system or use a step down (24V-5V) system. Does anyone have any input on this and installing USB charging ports in general in your plane?

Thank you!

Charles

I used these http://steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=601 and like how they turned out. Wired from a fuse block on the subpanel.

2nlvifl.jpg

Chris

I installed a standard cigarette lighter style power plug and use altra-low-profile dual USB adapter. The result is about 3/16" proud of the panel and I can always use the power for other things if needed. It also gives me an LED indicator that they are energized.

According to the dimensional drawing link on the ACS link, the output is 5V and 2.1 amps. That is just what you need for the iPad. Before you permanently install it, I would power it, your iPad, and radios to make certain there are no noise issues.

I had an inexpensive one that plugs into a cigarettel lighter adapter and it was noisy. I then bought a nice and quiet Belkin. The el cheapo went to my car.

Good luck.

Don

The issue with all of those (including ours) is the 2.1A limit, which is just BARELY enough to float an iPad with the GPS and maps running. They will charge if you dim the screen or turn off some apps, but not generally charge.

That said, we are testing some higher amp panel mount units now (for noise, capability, interference, etc..) and hopefully within some weeks we will have a result to report back on. Also, generally the cig plug type are slighlty less good than dedicated units (we carry both), but they will work.

Anyway, just letting you know we're working on it!

Cheers,
Stein

... we are testing some higher amp panel mount units now (for noise, capability, interference, etc..) and hopefully within some weeks we will have a result to report back on.

Excellent. Have been looking for higher power options to include permanently in the plane, so looking forward to what you all come up with. What sort of power outputs are you looking at, and I assume they trigger the "smart" circuitry of the tablets etc that would be charged, so they can use the full available power?

I'm installing one of these as part of a panel upgrade currently.

http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html

I've been through probably half a dozen cig lighter USB port "chargers" some from big names others no name. Also a dedicated powered USB socket. None of them will "rapid" charge the latest ipad/iPhone. (Was never a problem with the ipad1....)
As Greg says, they need to fool the device into thinking it's being charged by a non standard high power USB port not a regular computer USB port.

I'll report back when I'm flying again
Cheers

The issue with all of those (including ours) is the 2.1A limit, which is just BARELY enough to float an iPad with the GPS and maps running. They will charge if you dim the screen or turn off some apps, but not generally charge.

This has been my experience. Will more or less hold the charge on my mini with screen on bright and gps active, but don't expect it to charge.

If you plan to mount hour Ipad as a fixed item in your cockpit you will have to consider it a backup information source only. It will be unreadable under many lighting conditions and if in direct sunlight may shut down due to heat.

George

If you plan to mount hour Ipad as a fixed item in your cockpit you will have to consider it a backup information source only. It will be unreadable under many lighting conditions and if in direct sunlight may shut down due to heat.

George

This is my experience also so I am using the IPad only for preflight weather, notams, TFRs, etc. and not in the cockpit as a flight instrument. I keep hoping Apple would come out with a sunlight readable or glare-less screen. I have panel space dedicated for the IPad but not going to put it in if I can't read the screen.

Jim
RV9a
Flying since 9/2013

When I ferried my RV-8A back from Texas over the summer, it was far too bright in the cockpit to casually use my iPad 2 / Foreflight, which was bad because it held my flight plan... I ended up using the manual for the D100 to shade the display, and used the footwell to shade my iPhone 5 backup (which I used for frequencies.) I have since purchased a Nexus 7 which has much better screen brightness, but unfortunately doesn't support Foreflight. As for power, I used a SCOSCHE USBC242M usb adapter that claims to output 12w@5v / ~2.4a at each port. It worked as advertised - at least I never ran out of power. Having said that, I'm very interested to see the results of Stein's usB port testing.... I planning a new panel for the winter.

Last edited:
flying with ipads

On other previous threads... I maintained my position that ipads make poor cockpit devices. First of all, their brightness, followed by real estate problems.
I too, use Garmin Pilot for data on the ipad. I do it in a larger Cessna. In sun, it washes out and overheats. The big line to cross, in my opinion... is using the new GDL 39 for attitude. That would really be pushing it, to determine up from down on a portable pad.
For preflight, and GPS backup course lines... seems to work OK. Another thread mentioned difficulty with new firmware transfer on the GDL 39. In frustration, I had to do the upgrade via my iphone, as the ipad crashed repeatedly.
Using a GRT mini as a backup attitude is FAR better than any Android or Apple device. They are bright, power backed up with Batts, have GPS receivers built in and Pitot Static ports. For the under $1000 price tag at Spruce... you really should park the ipads in your preflight bag.

Test Fly first

Charles:

I can't improve on the responses to your original question on USB power sources.

That said, if you haven't flown in an RV, in your projected profile, with a tablet, I'd suggest you test fly before going down that road. You may find glare or heating issues, even with a reliable power source, outweigh perceived utility of a fixed iPad display.

I regularly fly day VFR with a V3 pad and like it, but I don't trust it. I always have (2) independent navigation systems on board... but don't ask me how to refold a sectional any more.

Overheating, even with aimed vents and an angled display, has occurred at very inopportune times, such as directly overhead KSAN, or a few miles out from KPRB.

Glare is another challenge, partially addressed by a ball mount, and partially by a glare-reducing screen protector. Of course that retina display is a fond memory now.

Good luck in your quest.

Charles:

I can't improve on the responses to your original question on USB power sources.

That said, if you haven't flown in an RV, in your projected profile, with a tablet, I'd suggest you test fly before going down that road. You may find glare or heating issues, even with a reliable power source, outweigh perceived utility of a fixed iPad display.

I regularly fly day VFR with a V3 pad and like it, but I don't trust it. I always have (2) independent navigation systems on board... but don't ask me how to refold a sectional any more.

Overheating, even with aimed vents and an angled display, has occurred at very inopportune times, such as directly overhead KSAN, or a few miles out from KPRB.

Glare is another challenge, partially addressed by a ball mount, and partially by a glare-reducing screen protector. Of course that retina display is a fond memory now.

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks guys for the help! In regards to a fixed iPad, I may try and fix it for a flight or two to see how that works but it sounds like it's a bit impractical. If only Skyview's didn't end up costing 12K when all is said and done!!!

I use WingXpro on an Ipad Mini in my RV-8. I have it mounted to a RAM holder. I put a matte finish anti-glare screen over it and find it quite readable. It gets warm but doesn't overheat, even in sunny Florida.

Don

I bought the Scosche unit as per humpty bumps post #6 and get a terrible scratchy noise/interference in the headset when receiving from thru the icom A-200. I can pull the lightning connection from the ipad in mid reception and it stops so I know the culprit is within that system. Also, I have 600 hrs on the plane with no prior problems preceding this installation and have rewired the cig-lighter source every place short of coming straight off the battery with both power and ground. No joy.

So, I'm ready to trash this unit and am asking for recommendations of other units/sources that charge at the 2.1 amp rate and DO NOT cause radio interference. Torn between the Belkin unit or the one Stein offers. Chime in fellow RV'rs and report your success stories on how you charge your ipad in flight without radio interference.

Stein: I need a bunch of other stock stuff also, wire etc. Might be a good place to up-date me/us on your testing of this " ipad charging in flight without radio interference" category.

Doug

info

Actually I talked with Stein about this. Maybe he can chime in.
I have a cig lighter, and bought several chargers to plug into cig lighter....even the ipad one from sportys. No joy.

The issue I believe (stein or someone smarter please chime in) is that if using full size ipad...stratus and foreflight...non of the chargers work.
So...while something may come up, nothing is a good solution now.

So, the plan is to find a good portable usb battery pack. See current post by brantel on here for info. A $30 battery pack would be ideal to charge before kosh, have in plane to keep ipad happy, use to charge phones etc as needed at places like kosh. Just doing a little research so i dont end up sorry before i buy.

Anyone wiser...please chime in. Ipad minis work fine...full size ipads...not so much.

Oly: I was looking for a cig-lighter adapter type since I already have things installed vs. panel mount but the size looks pretty similar so I may be able to just trash the whole set-up I have and switch over to this powererk set up if I were assured there were to be no radio interference with it. What kind of com radio do you have oly?
Any body else have experience with powerwerk either good or bad?

doug

Has anyone tried this one yet?

http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html

Also, L-Com sells a bunch of nice USB panel mount adapters and they have one that is shielded, which might help with radio noise.

When wiring the power/ground, be sure to twist the wires to help reduce noise.

Last edited:
I've tried a couple of no name 2.1A USB chargers (cigarette lighter style) for my iPad mini and they seem to do the trick. (Not really enough to charge while in use but enough to maintain the charge I already have.)

My problem is that for some reason the "noise" from these chargers causes my 430 to break squelch periodically. They don't seem to affect my SL-30 in any way but it's a problem on the 430.

Thanks guys for the help! In regards to a fixed iPad, I may try and fix it for a flight or two to see how that works but it sounds like it's a bit impractical. If only Skyview's didn't end up costing 12K when all is said and done!!!

Skyview is not $12K if you don't have dual systems or do the engine instruments. So, if you just want skyview to provide attitude, altitude and airspeed plus nav data, I think it is closer to $5-6K for a 10 inch display, including their GPS.

I use WingXpro on an Ipad Mini in my RV-8. I have it mounted to a RAM holder. I put a matte finish anti-glare screen over it and find it quite readable. It gets warm but doesn't overheat, even in sunny Florida.

Don

I have the same results with iPad Mini and Foreflight in my RV-6. Started using this setup when I lived in SoCAL so heat could have been a problem but was not. The Anti-Glare screen protector is a MUST have for using the iPad in an RV cockpit.

For the iPad...

I use an inverter and plug the regular large block into it. Tucks up nicely and charges well. I think I have about 15 hours so far with no ill-effects.

I distribute a 4.2A dual outlet panel mount USB power outlet that will do two Ipads. It does not have an LED so it does not glare in your face at night, it only draws a few milliamps so you can keep it hot all the time and not have to turn on your master switch and 2A master solenoid just to charge your phone battery at a flyin, looks good, and has no radio interference. You can get them at Spruce and Wicks.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircra...chg?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&filter=&by=prod

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/eadualusbpanel.php?clickkey=264635

Back