What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Mechanism is jammed in the closed position

Md11av8r

After completing a recent flight, I attempted to open the pilots door, but the door handle will not move to the open position. The safety pin releases when the latch is pushed to unlock, but the handle will not move to the open position, thereby releasing the door pins. Have any of you experienced this problem?

I haven't had my door jam in the closed position, but had had both doors jam in the open position. In my case, I have the plane-around cam in the center (not that that had any direct role to play in this other than extra joints) one of the mechanism pins backed out just enough to catch on the fiberglass of the door. The keeper pin didn't keep the head of the pin down tight to the shaft.

I had to cut away some of my door interior fabric to access the pin, but was able to add a little epoxy to the head to keep the pin fully seated. Perhaps you have a pin catching on something in the closed position.

Yes I had a small machine screw come out of the rack and jammed the mechanism so it wouldn't work. I had to open the fiberglass inner door around the handle and repair.

-Marc

Finally got the door open. The forward through pin became loose and caused a lengthening of the pin mechanism. This resulted in the hard edge which caught on the edge of he door jam, preventing the door from opening. We reassembled the pins, and used Blue Locktite to prevent the loosening from the vibrations.

I have had the aftermarket end pins (that are on the rods) come loose and it jams as it the rod tries to pull through the hole

Last edited:
Back