What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flower Bombs

pa38112

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a set of written rules for a flower bomb competition? I?m going to have one at my fly-in, but have never been to one to know the in?s and out?s : Does everyone fly the same altitude? How much flower goes in a bag? What other considerations are there?
And the second part of my question: how do I drop a bomb from my 6A slider?
I remember reading a post for a very elaborate dropping mechanism that someone on here made, but I?m looking for something I can cobble together in an hour or two... Has anyone already invented that mouse trap?

These are a lot of fun. A couple of suggestions based on events I've participated in:

• Selection of your target zone is important. An active taxiway/runway could be problematic.
  • Set a minimum altitude of something like 300-500 AGL.
  • Re-pack the flower in paper lunch sacks - something biodegradable. Yes, you should clean-up the mess, but some will inevitably get missed. Make them about the size of a large burrito - maybe a pound each.
  • Send the bombers in groups of 3 or 4. You don't want 10-15 planes trying to line up and coordinate their bombing runs at the same time. This is especially true if you're doing it at an airport where there may be non-participating traffic.
  • Bomber crews of 2. No solo pilot/bombers! You're already doing some atypical flying. Let the pilot focus on flying the plane and the bombardier focus on delivering the ordnance.
  • 4 runs (3 bombs) per crew. 1st run for each aircraft should be a "no-drop" dry run. Let the pilot get familiar with the altitudes, winds, etc. For some, it might be their first experience flying with a window open.
  • Designate and "airboss" to help coordinate and call for participants to "Knock it off" if unsafe conditions are observed on the ground (people/aircraft/other vehicles in drop zone) or in the air (spacing too tight, unexpected conflicting traffic).
  • Mandatory briefing for all participants.
  • And of course, FAR 91.15.

Unfortunately, without a door or window that can be opened in-flight, I haven't participated in one since having an RV. I'm sure you could rig something up to drop them. Some ideas here, here, and here.

Last edited:
At a private airport, there shouldn't be too many issues with FAA type rules. We used to do flour bombing events here at Slobovia Outernational, before moving on to pumpkin drops. We maintain safe crowd distances (that item is FAA mandated; I think it's 500' from people or structures, but check that one for yourself), and we chose 300' AGL for bombing runs. If you go much higher, odds of hitting the target approach zero and odds of hitting something undesired go up a bit, especially if there's significant crosswind. We have the FAA at most of our events (FSDO employee lives on the field), and they've never had an issue with our operations. If you have multiple planes in the air, be sure they all follow the same flight profile; critical for safe operation just like operating in any airport pattern. We usually launch around 5 a/c at a time. They might make 2 runs, then we recover all the a/c before the next group launches. Back in our flour days, we'd usually use about a fist-sized (or slightly larger) lump of flour in a small paper bag.

SAFETY: At our events, *no one* flies during the competition unless they attend the safety/procedures briefing prior to the start of competition, and no one arrives or departs the airport while any of the competition a/c are in the air.

Dropping from a slider is easy; just don't latch the canopy. :) You'll have about a 2" gap to work with, if yours is a typical installation. You might even need a bombardier riding with you, to pull it open far enough to drop the ordinance.

Now if instead, you're going for more of an anti-war event, I doubt the ordinance will survive exiting the a/c.

;-)

Charlie

Last edited:
Operating limitations apply

Operating limitations may prohibit devices attached to your rv which allow something to be dropped

Use caution!

Too late for the OP but at OSH a few years ago I saw an RV-7 with a cool bombay built in.

The guy built an aluminum box that went just forwarded of the fuel valve (the fuel line was routed around the box).

It had two small doors that opened downwards, one on each side like a B-17. His actuator was a T-handle pull cable.

On the inside, there was an airtight lid that could be closed and latched on flight.

This lid served two functions; when dropping cremains you can reload in flight. It also keeps the wind from blowing the payload up into the cabin.

It really was a cool set up!

Do you drop the entire flower or just the petals?

Do you have to have grown the flowers yourself or can you buy them at a flower shop?

Does their scent matter?

Dave

Do you drop the entire flower or just the petals?

Do you have to have grown the flowers yourself or can you buy them at a flower shop?

Does their scent matter?

Dave

Im thinking that roses are riskier than tulips.

I have seen a few flour bombing events but I like the thought of a flower drop.
It could be the start of a new event for mothers day flyins.

Does anybody remember the WKRP in Cincinnati Thanksgiving day turkey drop?

Last edited:
Aside from the safest place to stand will be right on the bullseye I think the lists above pretty much cover it.
One thing I would make clear in the briefing is passes below the stated minimum altitude will be an automatic DQ. The two man crew requirement is an especially important thing to enforce too. I have been at drops where some idiot roared through at 20 feet and tossed the bomb out the little window of his bonanza while flying. He wasn't invited back needless to say.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"
Arthur Carlson

Back