What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Z-Bracket Material- 6061 or 2024

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I am redoing the tank Z-brackets on my RV8 build. What is the aluminum material for the Z extrusions, 6061 or 2024? I can pick up the material from the local McMaster instead of the waiting for Vans shipping. The 2024 costs over 4 times the 6061. Based on Vans manual about extruded angles, I think the material is 6061. Just want to confirm.

Thanks,

Phat Vu

Can't offer a definitive answer, but IIRC, there's mention in the -7 build manual that the sheet stock & 'folded' parts are 2023, and the extruded parts are 6061.

Charlie

From the parts list

T-712 'FUEL TANK ATTACH BRACKET MANUFACTURED AZ6-063X 1.125 X 625 6061-T6 WING

Thanks to all for the reference information. BTW, the Z extrusion from McMaster is should not be used at all. It doesn't have the inner radius and instead has the sharp corner at the bend, which makes it unsuitable due to the stress concentration. Even the local Aircraft Spruce doesn't sell any z extrusion either. So I need to call Vans on Monday.

My brackets as supplied from vans are not radiused. Or if they are it is very very shallow. Nothing like the T6 angle extrusions.

Back