What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else should I order with my Wing kit

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm making great progress on my empennage kit and decided that with the 8-10 week lead time, now would be a great time to order the wing kit and have a very merry Christmas. I've seen a few posts while searching that suggest adding extra items to the wing order like the fuselage longerons. Aside from personal choices like locking fuel caps, are the any other items I should consider ordering to consolidate shipping charges?

just to clarify...

like the fuselage longerons.

the longerons are always in the wing kit because they are the longest parts in the entire airplane and they ship "cheaper" in the wing box. Unless of curse you want to order extra in case you don't get it right the first time....

Wing kit

Beverly will e-mail a copy of a typical wing order if you ask. Handy for this sort of thing.
Order at least one extra longeron. Nothing wrong with two extra.
Locking cap option
Decide on conduit. I used the black corrugated conduit.
Fuel tank test kit.
Extra aileron alignment jig.

Don't order proseal till you're ready.
Van's doesn't sell the capacitive sensing kit anymore but it's easy to fabricate.
Not Vans but Cleveland sells a tie down kit with three tie down brackets already tapped and tie down rings.
Another company sells the flap pushrod already cut and tapped. They are much stronger. I can look it up if you want.
There is a full inventory on a Basic Builder log stored on Goigle drive. Link is on my blog. It has everything on my wing order. Might help.

Great link, that was very helpful! F-718 isn't on "The List" but that part number is used in the plans still (Dwg 17 and 18). I'll have to try and reconcile that with Vans at a later date.

I have asked them for the pick sheet to review as suggested.

Yep I couldn't find it either. Just called them up and said add two longerons, she knew exactly what I was talking about.

Apparently there are a few items that don?t appear on the list so that builders of other types don?t use Vans parts. If you order them, you will get the right parts!

This is what I added to my wing kit:

(Qty 2) FUEL CAP DELUX W/LOCK
W-730 BELLCRANK JIG
IF-4/6 RV-4/6/6A/7/7A/8/8A Wing tank flop tube
FUEL TANK TEST KIT
DUCT NT5/8-50
AA6-063X3/4X3/4X6'
E718 Longeron Angle 7/8/9/AA-125x3/4x3/4x15'2"

I ended up going with flop tubes in both tanks, and ordered the second one later. The only thing I would not want to order later is the ?just in case? longeron because of the shipping cost.

Think about what's going in the wing tips, lighting, magnetometers etc. Plan for wiring conduit for this stuff. Also Autopilot servo mounting brackets, heated pitot mounting bracket.

QB Fuselage

Used to be that if you were thinking of a ordering a quick build fuselage Vans would store the center section of the slow build wing for you as they need it for the fuselage, of course this may no longer be true if the matched hole technology has improved to the point where everything matches anyway.
Figs

I was planning to get some sharkbite conduit from home depot to house the wiring for the wing tip accessories. I need more time to consider the goodies that might be installed. I'm leaning toward and IFR capable aircraft so a heated pitot would certainly be a requirement. Auto pilot is also strongly desired. I'm less concerned about those items due to their size. I mainly wanted to make sure I got all of the big items (the ones that would cost a small fortune to ship individually) included in the first order.

If you're thinking of ordering a QB fuselage, tell them now. Otherwise they'll ship you the full kit and then you'll have to ship back the center section. From my area, that was $45 via UPS.

On my end, I damaged 1 tank end rib and inner rib, and 1 wing rib. The wing rib could have been avoided had I drilled the conduit hole before assembly.

I'm holding off on servo mounting brackets as it's still very accessible while the wing is off, oh and I don't know which auto pilot I'll be using!

I also ordered extra materials to make a fuel return line on both and I ordered additional MK-319-BS blind rivets. There were a couple spots I couldn't get a rivet in, including the service bulletin for the aileron mount area.

Back