What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge Roll Fuel Tank Leading Edge

cczarnik

Well Known Member
Posting in general because I think this applies to most RV's?

Working on tanks and wing leading edge now. Can already tell I'm not going to be thrilled with the seam from the tank LE to the wing LE. Some shimming is in order, but I'm wondering if anyone has edge rolled the tank LE to help it lay down on the doubler strip? Spacing of the screws isn't great, looking for options to give it a little help-

Thoughts?

Posting in general because I think this applies to most RV's?

Working on tanks and wing leading edge now. Can already tell I'm not going to be thrilled with the seam from the tank LE to the wing LE. Some shimming is in order, but I'm wondering if anyone has edge rolled the tank LE to help it lay down on the doubler strip? Spacing of the screws isn't great, looking for options to give it a little help-

Thoughts?

Recommend proceeding per the plans. I note that once everything is done the fit comes out amazingly well. Never needed to shim this area on any of the four sets of wings I've done.

Do make sure you properly debur all edges.

Carl

I rolled

I rolled the tank seam very slightly. On my 9, the inner skin and outer skin are different thickness, so I wish I would have taken this into account before finishing tank assembly.
So the splice is a 7 mils step. But it sat down very well. I also curved the platenuts and this seemed to help too.

Back