What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deluxe Locking Fuel Caps

danboy

To anyone that has installed the deluxe locking fuel caps, are there supposed to be different instructions with them, or do I follow the standard fuel cap install instructions? Thanks...

Caps

I'm not sure if they are the same as the locking caps on the 7. If so mine didn't have much for instructions. Basically center the flange in the hole and match drill it. They only go one way because of the curve but it was tricky to center it. Heavy c-clamps didn't work. I bought two 4" plastic locking grip clamps. With just enough pressure, the flange would stay put and could be moved tiny amounts till it was perfect. Then squeeze the clamps tight and drill.

i just spoke with tech support and they said since the deluxe caps are machines i shouldnt have to do any of the bending, but make sure prior to riveting

i just spoke with tech support and they said since the deluxe caps are machines i shouldnt have to do any of the bending, but make sure prior to riveting

just to update this. i was able to get the one I did today to fit with no modifications to the cap ring

As you have already found, dead easy to fit. The flanges are already machined to fit the curved skin so no bending required. Look really good when done.

Flange Curve Revision?

This must be a new thing. The flanges on mine most certainly DID NOT fit the curvature of the 10 wing skin. I had to mill it down to get it precise. Should have waited!;)

Just remember to vary the rivet lengths as you go around the flange to compensate for the varying flange thickness; it'll save you some drilling.:eek:

This must be a new thing. The flanges on mine most certainly DID NOT fit the curvature of the 10 wing skin. I had to mill it down to get it precise. Should have waited!;)

I've read this on several build logs, and this is why I have the standard standing by with my wing kit. I'll have to relook the delux, I guess.

I've read this on several build logs, and this is why I have the standard standing by with my wing kit. I'll have to relook the delux, I guess.

For what it's worth, even though my flages were a PITA to get right, the deluxe locking caps are high quality, IMO, and I'm not sorry I used them. The RV-3 kit I bought came with the standard Vans old caps (the ones that are hard to open). I started playing with them one day, to see just how hard they were to open and close, and the darned thing broke in my hand! I am now awaiting the Andair locking retrofit caps for the 3, as the original kit ones went in the trash can. BTW, the 3 kit was originally purchased in 2011, so the caps were not super old.

For info, the deluxe caps from VANS are the Newton units, not Andair - at least they were a few years ago........

Correct

For info, the deluxe caps from VANS are the Newton units, not Andair - at least they were a few years ago........

When I mentioned the Andair retrofit caps (for my 3), they are different than the Deluxe Locking Caps Vans supplies, which are Newtons and are not for retrofitting, only for new builds (they use a different flange). Hope this clears up any confusion.

The Newton caps that I got from Van's (shipped last March, 2016) do NOT fit the fuel tank skin curve either. Looks like about 1/16" to 3/32" off of the curve on the front and back edges. Will need to do some sanding/machining to make them fit.

The Newton caps that I got from Van's (shipped last March, 2016) do NOT fit the fuel tank skin curve either. Looks like about 1/16" to 3/32" off of the curve on the front and back edges. Will need to do some sanding/machining to make them fit.

Well it's at least closer to the curvature than mine were. Still, I have no regrets about using the deluxe locking caps. BTW, the Andair retrofit caps are also well-made, in case you wanted to use the Vans supplied neck flange, instead of milling down the Newtons. However, the deluxe ones are nice in that you can leave them locked or unlocked, without your key in the cap (unlike the Andairs). So, you can leave them unlocked for a line boy to fill them, or not. Your choice. For me, since I have 4 tanks (2 aux and 2 mains), this was an important feature. I can leave my mains unlocked and the aux tanks locked, to ensure I don't get filled up too much. Most of my flying will use the main tanks only...

Just bought a set of unfinished wings, one stock fuel cap flange is already installed, tank is not closed out yet. Could I buy the deluxe cap and use the current flange holes to drill into the new deluxe cap flange? Or am I stuck with the original fuel cap? Thank you for any advise.

The deluxe cap flanges are undrilled. Drill out the old flange, match drill the new flange countersink seal and rivet. It might be a little tricky to match to the dimpled holes of the skin but it should be doable-

Back