What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two-part epoxy in a rattle can

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
Both SprayMax and Rust-Oleum make a two-part epoxy primer in an aerosol can. Rust-Oleum's is horrendously expensive at $110 per can and SprayMax's is more reasonable (but still expensive) at $25 per can. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Jerre

I have not used either of those brands, but have used Eastwood 2k rattle cans many times. Very good option if you have a small project.

Something to consider. I bought the 3M Accuspray paint gun. It comes with disposable cups and tips. It makes the cleanup very fast and easy. It cost about the same as one rattle can of SW.

It does a good job on the rest of the painting too.

I would not trust epoxy in a common aerosol can. If it's pre-mixed, it's not really a 2 part (real epoxy primer requires mixing with a catalyzer that starts an exothermic process that only lasts for a few hours), If it has separate chambers, I would not trust that it is properly mixed as it leaves the can. Also, there would be very limited induction time, which is important for expoxy based primers.

Remember, according to the marketing folks, all paint is two part. One part pigment and one part acrylic. I just don't trust that you are getting what you think you are. I remember the lawsuit with Kraft where they said it was 100% grated Parmesan cheese. The cheese was only 10% parmesean, but it was 100% grated. They actually won in court.

Larry

Last edited:
Eastwood 2k

I have also used the Eastwood 2k product. It is definitely a 2-part coating as there is an inner chamber that must be ruptured before use. After you do that, the pot life is similar to other epoxy paint.

Pluses: very easy to use, cleanup is non-existent, and a decent spray. I got almost as good coverage as I do with my regular gun (I am NOT a paint pro though).

Minuses: I did not think the abrasion resistance was as good as the Sherwin Williams or PTI coatings I have used. Again, that might have been operator error. Never compared them for chemical/fuel resistance. Biggest drawback for me was the cost. You have to use the whole can in one day. To get good results you still have to use the booth and do all the same prep.

If I did not already have a compressor and paint equipment and needed to re-paint a motorcycle gas tank or metal outdoor furniture, the two part rattle cans would give nearly as good results as getting the compressor, gun, and booth to shoot "real" epoxy paint. Since I do already have all that stuff, there was not a lot of benefit to me. Hope that helps.

Both SprayMax and Rust-Oleum make a two-part epoxy primer in an aerosol can. Rust-Oleum's is horrendously expensive at $110 per can and SprayMax's is more reasonable (but still expensive) at $25 per can. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Jerre

Update: I somehow failed to notice that the Rust-Oleum price was for five cans. Still expensive, but not as horrendous as I initially thought.

Spray Maxx

I have used SM Clear to clear coat an RC sailplane that I had painted as well as a few other parts. It works great. I would use it again. Great nozzle that sprays evenly.

Obviously, once you punch the catalyst in you have to use it up. So have everything ready and get the most bang for your buck. I want to say it was about $25 for the can. I'd use it again.

Slightly off topic but as a rattle can guy that graduated to akzo after the emp there really is no comparison cost wise. $200 for the primer, and <$50 for a HF purple sprayer AND an ATS primer pistol and I'm set for the rest of the build (interior structure and skin faying surfaces). It's easy to shoot, mix and cleanup is a few minutes. MEK+black disposable gloves from HD. Way cheaper than rattle in the long run.

Scuff good (I use a Walmart 3m scuffing wheel from the auto section in the die grinder) acetone or lacquer thinner wipe till no more black and shoot. No scotchbrite workout, chemical dips, etc. the stuff is tough as nails and won't peel.

Just a thought.

I did use the Rustoleum 2 part rattle can epoxy primer on my reinforced steps (had to sand blast them for the welding job). It held up well during the year or so that it was exposed prior to my recent paint job. 1 can was sufficient to cover them. It didn't go very far!

Back