What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barkeepers Friend instead of Bon Ami for Akzo prep,

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I'm getting setup for a marathon priming session with Akzo Nobel.

I was going to follow others lead and clean/scuff with Bon Ami but I can't seem to source this in Canada. I'm guessing something like Comet isn't acceptable because it contains chlorine which won't play well with the aluminum. I found Barkeepers Friend which is aluminum safe according to the package. Has anybody used this or is perhaps more importantly, is there any reason not to use this?

Also, for cleanup, can I use acetone instead of MEK with this primer?

+1 Interested, using Prekote, but when that runs out I've been eyeing the Bon Ami under the sink....

BTW I have found that MEK is by far the best for Akzo cleanup. Acetone didn't do much for me.

Last edited:
All I ever did was scuff the aluminum with a scotchbrite pad and clean it off with naphtha or white gas or Coleman fuel before spraying with Akzo. Never had it come off.

I'll also add that the overspray stuck to my dirty aluminum paint stand like glue. That got me curious. I shot some scrap test articles with no prep whatsoever other than a dry wipe. And could only get it to come off with sandpaper.

So I'm doing the prep because we are supposed to- but assuming corrosion wouldn't start under the primer somehow I don't know why all the complicated prep- it's NOT adhesion from my testing.....

Sharp contrast to rattle can, which peeled on me even with prep...

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think you are both correct in keeping it on the simpler side. In the end I'm just going to scuff with a maroon Scotchbrite pad, wipe with acetone and spray. I got my first batch, the vertical stabilizer parts all primed up today and ready to come together. Over the next week I'm hoping to get the rudder, HS and elevators done similarly.

Six weeks ago I ordered the QB fuse and wings with an expected delivery of Nov. I got an email last week indicating that the order would actually be ready to ship in the latter part of August. I thought I would have a couple extra months to leisurely rivet the empennage together. Now I'm in a bit of a rush.

Comet

I'm getting setup for a marathon priming session with Akzo Nobel.

I was going to follow others lead and clean/scuff with Bon Ami but I can't seem to source this in Canada. I'm guessing something like Comet isn't acceptable because it contains chlorine which won't play well with the aluminum. I found Barkeepers Friend which is aluminum safe according to the package. Has anybody used this or is perhaps more importantly, is there any reason not to use this?

Also, for cleanup, can I use acetone instead of MEK with this primer?

You can use Comet and Ajax as long as it's rinsed thoroughly.

Back