What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Differences in rv6a kits

jask

Well Known Member
Can anyone give me the differences in rv6a kits sol in 1991 and those sold later?

There were lots of small differences and improvements that were introduced at various times through out the years.

The biggest one would be the introduction of the prepreg epoxy cowl to the finish kit in the late 90's

My late 6A kit after hey were obsoleted

I just completed my very late 6A kit and the later kits come with RV7 / 7A prints for the forward fuselage. My fuel system layout , FWF and interior is identical to the 7 with the center instrument panel support that goes to the floor and holds the engine controls on the older 6?s eliminated. Besides the epoxy cowls the wheel pants are the newer pressure type.
The 7 prints are superior to the hand drawn 6 prints and a pleasure to work with.

I have a 1991 kit, a couple things I've noticed with mine in the short time I've been working on it....There were some changes to the firewall. The older ones had a different layout for the bracing. The aileron bell crank gussets that tie in to the top and bottom wing skin changed after 94. I am currently replacing those gussets on mine. I'm not sure what else I will run into.

The newer kits had pre punched firewalls and pre punched wing, aileron, and flap skins. I think the tail skins might have been pre punched too.

The older kits had a smaller vertical stabilizer and non counter balanced rudder. I think in the newer kits they went to the bigger vertical stabilizer so the parts are common with other kits. I fly an older RV6 with the smaller vertical stabilizer and it flys fine.

The older kits had a smaller vertical stabilizer and non counter balanced rudder. I think in the newer kits they went to the bigger vertical stabilizer so the parts are common with other kits. I fly an older RV6 with the smaller vertical stabilizer and it flys fine.

Did they begin selling the RV9 rudder and VS with the later 6 kits?

Did they begin selling the RV9 rudder and VS with the later 6 kits?
I think in 1996 or 1997 they started selling the bigger rudder and VS with the RV6 kits. I finished mine in 1997 but I bought the tail kit in 1995.

Have you gone through the Service Bulletins on Van's website to insure safety updates are addressed in the project build?

Back