What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview/TruTrak

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
First of all, going through my first CI this week. Doing an owner assist CI and the A/P is extraordinarily thorough. I’m very pleased with his work so far, a little less pleased with my pre-buy inspection. Not the point of this post though…

Working toward upgrading my panel. Currently have a TruTrak AP installed and have purchased a Slyview Classic EFIS for the upgrade. Does anyone have experience with compatibility between the two systems?

Also looking for SA on the utility of the Dynon Auto Pilot Control Panel and Dynon Knob Control Panel with a non-touch Skyview system.

SkyView and Trutrak

First, they are not compatible. You will need the Dynon Autopilot servos, but you can use the trutrak servo mounts, but that is all. I would run new wires to the servos. They will use the four data wires from the SkyView network, the green, the blue, the white/green, and the white/blue, and you will need to use 20 gage wire for the power and ground. The autopilot disconnect wire is a 22 gage wire.

Second, you can use the AP panel, and the Knob panel with the Classic SkyView. If you are only installing one screen, you will find it easier with the two extra panels. Also, if you have electric trim, like the Ray Allen Trim, you can wire up the servos with the Autopilot panel, and have auto trim. If you have a trim board, you do not use it anymore, as the Autopilot panel replaces the trim board.

Good luck with the upgrade. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Brian

Dynon Compatibility with TruTrak AP Options

My original setup used a Garmin GNS430 to control a Trutrak AP. Then I installed a a new Dynon HDX touchscreen a few years ago I decided to keep my existing AP. The Dynon will not control the TruTrak AP, but it was no problem for me to manually control the heading, VS, and altitude using the AP controller and I saved about $1500. If you want the Dynon to control the AP and do all the cool stuff like flying approaches, then you have to install the Dynon servos and maybe the harness. I will switch to the Dynon servos as soon as I have a problem with the TT.

Last edited:
My original setup used a Garmin GNS430 to control a Trutrak AP. Then I installed a a new Dynon HDX touchscreen a few years ago I decided to keep my existing AP. The Dynon will not control the TruTrak AP, but it was no problem for me to manually control the heading, VS, and altitude using the AP controller and I saved about $1500. If you want the Dynon to control the AP and do all the cool stuff like flying approaches, then you have to install the Dynon servos and maybe the harness. I will switch to the Dynon servos as soon as I have a problem with the TT.

Mike,
I think you’re getting to what I need to know. When you say, “no problem for me to manually control the heading, VS, and altitude using the AP controller”, what exactly do you mean. Is that the. Original TT AP controller or do you have heading, VS, and altitude through the NDX? Bottom line, if I keep the TT does that mean my only control is through the TT control head so I have to keep that as well?
Thanks

Digiflight II Programming

Yes you will need to keep the programmer. I have a Digiflight II autopilot and it will work independently without a GPS controller. I manually rotate the encoder knob and select the menu button to program the course, vertical speed, and altitude.

Last edited:
Hello, I just wet thru a similar situation.
I had a trutrak gemini AP (which I currently for sale with servos)
I went to a full Dynon hex setup. If you have the Skyview you want the full integration. sell your TT parts and get the Dynon servos. You can use the same wiring just needs to be re-pinned on the D-sub plug. I spoke with Dynon tech and they told me it was no problem. Indeed the airplane is now flying and the AP works 100%

Back