What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brush Inspection On PP alternator

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Anybody else have problems trying to remove the regulator/brush assembly from a Plane Power alternator to inspect the brushes? 7 years / 800 hours I figured it was about time. 3 screws hold the assembly to the SRE frame. One screw came out OK, the other two won't budge. Unfortunately, I boogered (technical term) the phillips head on one of them in the process. :mad:
This is an original (pre-Hartzell) Plane Power 60 Amp.

EDIT: I discovered part of my problem. The screws are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws - not Phillips. Of course I attacked them with a Phillips. I don't currently own any JIS screwdrivers - but I am about to fix that.

Last edited:
I have similar 2011 PP-60. No problem getting the screws out. I changed the module at 600 hours, just in an effort to prolong it since it’s been running good so far. Didn’t care how much brush was worn, changed it anyway.

Dan you could get them out with a hammer driver. A tool with a phillips insert that you push-twist and smack the end with a hammer like a poor mans impact. The better part is the axial load helps keep the bit from riding out.

I was thinking you may just measure the depth from the top, then pull up on the wire (remeasure) to see how much it has worn - I'll get a holder and brush measured to give you some measurements of new if that will help.

JIS

I discovered part of my problem. The screws are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws - not Phillips. They have a dot on the heads which is a dead giveaway. My bad.

Get some Permatex valve grinding compound and put a dab on the tip of whatever screwdriver you use. It's amazing how much extra torque it enables you to deliver...

I learned a tip some time back. Whenever I have a tight phillips screw, I use a phillips bit on my ratchet. It allows much better axial pressure and greater radial leverage than using a screwdriver, as it uses one hand for each.

Larry

Back