What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

more newbie RV-6A owner questions - fasteners

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
standard disclaimer - I did use the search function, but in the case of one of these questions I wasn't even sure what search terms to use...

There are some aluminum screws that I need either spares of or replacements for on my airplane and I need to figure out what they are so I can order spares/replacements as needed.

Normally, I'd use a gauge/finder like this to figure it out:
https://www.mcmaster.com/gauges/fastener-thread-size-identifiers/

Is this appropriate for the various screws that hold fairings to nut plates and stuff like that? Or do I need an AN-specific-screw identifier? I saw the AN-bolt gauge on Spruce (and I ordered it) but I don't know about if that applies to the screws.

I realize this question is as elementary as it can get. Please be gentle.

Last edited:
standard disclaimer - I did use the search function, but in the case of one of these questions I wasn't even sure what search terms to use...

There are some aluminum screws that I need either spares of or replacements for on my airplane and I need to figure out what they are so I can order spares/replacements as needed.

Is this appropriate for the various screws that hold fairings to nut plates and stuff like that? Or do I need an AN-specific-screw identifier? I saw the AN-bolt gauge on Spruce (and I ordered it) but I don't know about if that applies to the screws.

Best to identify bolts / screws by measuring the major diameter with a mic or caliper and and the pitch or TPI with the tool you referenced. You can then use a chart of standard sizes to identify. AN stuff follows the same sizing guidelines as SAE, but more limited. For example, most common AN bolts follow the SAE Fine TPI. AN bolts use a number representing only the numerator in 16ths, whereas SAE uses the complete fraction. AN or MS screws often have the SAE number and TPI in their number, such as 832 (#8 screw with 32 TPI). SAE sizes are often available with several pitch's, where AN stuff is often available with one standard pitch for a given size.

Last edited:
Take one of each of the screws you want to replace to a local hardware store and match up the diameter/pitch of the screws, then order what you need from the appropriate supplier (Van's, Aircraft Spruce, etc.). Note - I don't remember any aluminum screws in the airplane - I think they are all steel.

If your term "aluminum screws" is meant to mean made from aluminum, then it's likely wrong. If they are silver colored they are probably stainless. Your normal choice in AN / MS hardware is cad plated steel or stainless steel.

If your term "aluminum screws" is meant to mean made from aluminum, then it's likely wrong. If they are silver colored they are probably stainless. Your normal choice in AN / MS hardware is cad plated steel or stainless steel.

Ugh. Y'know, I assumed they were aluminum since they felt light and didn't adhere to the magnetic tool tray thing I have.

Silly me.

I just purchase my RV-6A and need to do the exactly the same thing. I purchased the drawing on the USB stick from Van's and you can usually find the part number for the screws, washers, etc. and use those part numbers to find the right replacement on AircraftSpruce.

Back