What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10 or RV-14

cwilkins

It’s time for a project, so I’m trying to decide between the -10 and the -14. Anyone near eastern NC have an RV-10 I could look at and show the wife? I have an -8, so also willing to travel.

Last edited:
It’s time for a project, so I’m trying to decide between the -10 and the -14. Anyone near eastern NC have an RV-10 I could look at and show the wife? I have an -8, so also will to travel.
Too funny, I have an RV-8 as well, but my wife got tired of sitting in the back with a dog in her lap! Ordered an RV-10 empennage kit a couple weeks ago and am getting the shop ready for my next big project. Good luck with your choice/build!

I was debating of the same thing, although I really don't have a use for a for seater. The decision was made very easy when I sat in a RV10 and all the sudden I realized that the awesome view of a typical RV, specially with a TP canopy will all be gone.
I LOVE my RV14A

Assuming you want the plane for cross country, build the RV-10 and be a hero with our wife.

I’ve flown both the RV-14A and the RV-10 cross country and hands down the RV-10 is the winner. The $25K to $30K increase in cost over the RV-14 is small compared to what you get.

If you must have the plane do aerobatics, then you already decided on the RV-14 (unless of course you just keep the RV-8).

Carl

Assuming you want the plane for cross country, build the RV-10 and be a hero with our wife.

I’ve flown both the RV-14A and the RV-10 cross country and hands down the RV-10 is the winner. The $25K to $30K increase in cost over the RV-14 is small compared to what you get.

If you must have the plane do aerobatics, then you already decided on the RV-14 (unless of course you just keep the RV-8).

Carl

Definitely keeping the -8.

This is a chocolate versus vanilla kind of debate. I built and flew an RV-14A, loved it. But I decided the added utility and capability of the RV-10 was more to my liking, sold the -14A and now building a -10.

Of course some of the reason is I became a little addicted to building and wanted to stay busy. Never have to be worried about the investment other than time, and I have plenty of that now that I'm more or less retired.

You can't go wrong with either option.

Aside from the obvious differences in cost, build time and seats:
* The -10 is like a full sized airplane, the -14 is a traditional RV size. With my surgically repaired spine, the -10 is substantially harder to push on the ramp than the -14.
* The -10 has a baggage door.
* The -10 is often at the forward end of the c.g. That motivates carrying emergency and semi-emergency stuff in the baggage compartment all the time -- water, some survival gear, small tool box, spare nuts and bolts, etc. And you can carry all that (within reason) while still carrying a load of baggage, especially with the back seats empty.
* If I still had a dog, the -10 would work but the -14 would be awkward.

In an ideal world, I'd have a -10 with some kind of portable powered tow bar.

In the real world, the RV-9A has turned out to be exactly the right plane for developing the Expanded Envelope Exercises®. (Shameless hint: looking for low time pilots to come to Savannah to fly with me and fly the Exercises. We could turn that into a Flight Review, also.)

Ed

It’s time for a project, so I’m trying to decide between the -10 and the -14. Anyone near eastern NC have an RV-10 I could look at and show the wife? I have an -8, so also willing to travel.

Did you ever find one or start a build? Eastern NC here and asking the same question.

Back