What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 alternator

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have a 4 finished in 1992, I did not build. I?d like to replace the alternator.
The one on the plane has no markings and the builder?s log makes no mention of it.
Did Van?s supply them back then? Anyone have a suggestion for replacement?

Thanks

It may be the 35a externally regulated alternator that Vans sold for many years. It is from a 1978 Honda CVCC (no air conditioning). A common rebuild part number for this alternator is 14184. But unless your RV has relatively low hours the original alternator has probably been replaced.

I have the 14184, works fine.

Take a photo of the profile and harness jack with whatever plug it has removed and it'll get sluethed out. The 14184 is harder to find now- O'Reilly stopped carrying them. Still on available from other online searches, if that is what you have- but likely not true OEM New Densos.

Alternator

I have two 14129 (they interchange with the 14184) alternators, one is a new rebuild in the box, one was removed from my Rv4 for an engine replacement. I also have the original case mounting brackets and a couple of regulators. would like to get ride of everything - cheap. PM me if you have an interest.

I also use 14184, but concur that 14129 is the same--except the fan is vaned to spin the opposite direction--and it is easier to source. Alternators don't care which way they spin and Van's originally supplied the alternators without fans to begin with making the direction of spin irrelevant. I took mine off to give better cowl clearance. A blast tube in their place is a good preventative measure though.

Went with B and C

I have a 4 finished in 1992, I did not build. I?d like to replace the alternator.
The one on the plane has no markings and the builder?s log makes no mention of it.
Did Van?s supply them back then? Anyone have a suggestion for replacement?

Thanks

I burned through 2 of them within 3 months of install. No fault of the Denso. I did not notice the support bracket had a bend in it. That caused Bering stress leading to failure.
So happy with the B and C you can buy either 40 or 60 amps. I chose 40. Works great.
Daddyman

Kubota tractor alternator

Probably too late to help YellaDawg...but in case anyone else needs to replace an older Van's 35-40 Amp alternator:

The Van's supplied externally regulated alternator in my RV-4 started to get "noisy" after 25 years and 700+ hours in service. I had a lot of trouble tracking down a replacement and the first one I ordered was totally wrong. Eventually found this one in the link below and it bolted right in, and even the connector plug on the rear was exactly the same. After installation the headset noise was gone. Price was $56 for brand new (not rebuilt) alternator.

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-A...DB+Electrical+400-52244&qid=1630348079&sr=8-2

If the above link doesn't work try a search on ND121000-0980 or ND9712109-098.

Good luck.

Back