What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x Touch GPS antenna not found

Sportquattro

Well Known Member
Hi folks

Frustratingly after dragging the aircraft well clear of hangar etc to configure the magnetometer and ADAHRS I find the system telling me it doesn’t have a GPS antenna connected. Running a single G3X touch 10” display and have the GPS receiver configuration screen set for “Use PFD GPS antenna “. There’s a red X next to PFD on left of screen. No matter what I do it’s not playing ball and driving me mad.

My understanding is the G3X touch has a built in GPS receiver.

Any suggestions from the wise sages on VAF?

Many thanks in advance

Nige

RV9A at EGTE 99% finished

antenna

My G3X T has a GA26 antenna attached to it that lays on the glare shield. It attaches to the BNC connector on the back of the G3X T...

It needs the external antenna plugged in to do some calibration and setup functions. Dunno why but I had same issue until I was told it needed the antenna for this.

It needs the external antenna plugged in to do some calibration and setup functions. Dunno why but I had same issue until I was told it needed the antenna for this.

Thanks for the reply as I don’t have an external GPS antenna and it’s built with a integral one this isn’t really a viable option unfortunately. Did yours work after configurations without the external GPS antenna?

Internal receiver uses external antenna

The G3X has built in GPS receiver but not a built in antenna. The receiver uses an External antenna.

It’s not like an iPad that a built in receiver and antenna.

The G3X has built in GPS receiver but not a built in antenna. The receiver uses an External antenna.

It’s not like an iPad that a built in receiver and antenna.

Thanks Rick, I’ll just order up a GA26C which seems to be the answer. They never make it simple do they

Thanks again for your help

Kind regards

Nige

Thanks for the reply as I don’t have an external GPS antenna and it’s built with a integral one this isn’t really a viable option unfortunately. Did yours work after configurations without the external GPS antenna?

I bought and mounted the GA 26 antenna on my glareshield once I was told it was needed so never tried it without afterwards. I believe they said it's not needed after you do the calibrating but I just left mine connected as a backup GPS source to my GTN.

Chris, I had never needed the Internal GPS until last week when I tested the Smart glide feature. Smart glide switched to Internal NAV when it was activated.

I actually have separate antennas for each G3X display. Probably over kill.

I bought and mounted the GA 26 antenna on my glareshield once I was told it was needed so never tried it without afterwards. I believe they said it's not needed after you do the calibrating but I just left mine connected as a backup GPS source to my GTN.

From the manual:
GPS data is used for ADAHRS sensor drift correction, so at least one source of GPS data is required. This requirement can be met by installing a GPS 20A, or by connecting a GPS antenna to at least one GDU GPS receiver. In a system with multiple GDU displays, additional GPS antennas may be connected to the other displays for redundancy, if desired

The installation manual is pretty clear about GPS antenna requirements - see section 2.1.1.8 and the note at the beginning of section 8.1, in the current manual revision (rev AN).

Back