What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deutsch DT or DTM Crimpers

David Paule

Well Known Member
If I were to install either of these connectors, would I need a special crimper or would my standard Dsub crimper work?

Thanks!
Dave

I think...

I think the Deutsch connectors use a different crimper, especially for the larger pins/sockets...

I bought an AF8 crimper with turret head on eBay. It does the three common pin/socket sizes...

I think the Deutsch connectors use a different crimper, especially for the larger pins/sockets...

I bought an AF8 crimper with turret head on eBay. It does the three common pin/socket sizes...

David
while the AFM8 can do only 20 size pins, the AF8 can do 12-22, which covers it all.
the only problem with AF8 is that it has no positioner for 22 pins. its not so bad, after 3 of them, you will do it perfectly

having said all that Jready tools are amazing, and cost half the price. i highly recommend them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZDdt7YGy0k

...but

...but with the AF8M, you still need to have the correct head.

I actually ended up with both the AF8M and the AF8. The AF8M that I bought on eBay came with a box full of positioners...

Great tools and the Deutsch connectors are fabulous...

Happy with the JR crimper

Bought both the DMC model as well as the JR crimper. Needed for 24 g wire crimping (or you can just bend back the ends and “double up” the wire to make it bigger/thicker). Really like the smaller JR model and it works great. Really though, I wish I had just bought all 22 g wire in the beginning of my two panel wiring projects. It is more sturdy wire and not really more expensive.

Proper turret head for AF8

I too have both a AFM8 and AF8. I was looking at replacing some of my outside connectors with DT or DTM connectors.

I have one torrent for the AF8 which is for coax pins if my memory is correct, so what torrent do I need for DT or DTM pins with the AF8?

Thanks.

Brian

Last edited:
Still looking for the turret number for the DT/DTM pins

I too have both a AFM8 and AF8. I was looking at replacing some of my outside connectors with DT or DTM connectors.

I have one torrent for the AF8 which is for coax pins if my memory is correct, so what torrent do I need for DT or DTM pins with the AF8?

Thanks.

Brian

Still looking for answer. What I would like to get is a turret for the DT and DTM pins. Which one do I need?

I just got home, and checked the ones I have, which is a TH4, and TH285 which is for coax center pins. Neither one of those will work.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Still looking for answer. What I would like to get is a turret for the DT and DTM pins. Which one do I need?

I just got home, and checked the ones I have, which is a TH4, and TH285 which is for coax center pins. Neither one of those will work.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

so the Th1 will work with both the dt and the dtm.
and all garmin connectors as well.
so you will just need to position by hand (the 22), no biggie

I have this 30$ crimper as well.
The crimps are not precise this way as each pin size requires different pressure.
Even though it works, doesn't mean we are not required to make our best to make it the right way. Higher pressure than required can result in future tear, and lower pressure can result in wire pulled out.
Now that there is a cheaper option than DMC, which gives the same results, differences is even lower.

I have DTM gold plated connections throughout the entire aircraft. It's the only connector style I used. I used these style crimpers. I have not had any issues, not one.

I am very pleased with my trim connector. Put a dab of RTV where the wire contacts a metal edge.

IMG_20170904_152325.jpg

IMG_20170904_152245.jpg

Last edited:
Back