What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Android Tablet and Software Alternative to iPad and Foreflight?

ILS is the guidance. A certified CDI is all that is required. Approach plates for the 740 are included with my iFLY subscription, so no extra cost for me. The tablet shows the same info. A LOT of bang for the buck.

Still trying to understand your legal logic here. So you're saying that since your CDI INDICATOR is "certified" then it doesn't matter what's driving that indicator?

So you're saying that just because this indicator is "certified" you can use a portable GPS for example to drive it (if you could electronically do that) and fly legally? :eek:

a certified SL-30 drives the CDI.

This makes more sense. Flying an ILS approach, not a "GPS (VFR) ILS approach..." as you previously stated and I still don't know what that means after many decades as a CFI-I, with the SL40 is legal.

very pleased with GPS (VFR) ILS approaches. the CDI makes me legal and can use the ifly 740 for assist if needed.

All your previous posts in a thread about tablets and apps implied you were flying some kind of approach (still not clear based on your original comments) with your iFly app and it was legal because you were using a CDI, which still doesn't make much sense because the CDI isn't what makes it legal.

I'm flying the ILS on a certified CDI. WAAS signal is from certified Lynx transponder.

WAAS has nothing to do with an ILS and the GPS WAAS signal from a Lynx isn't for approaches, it's for the ADS-B

ILS is the guidance. A certified CDI is all that is required. Approach plates for the 740 are included with my iFLY subscription, so no extra cost for me. The tablet shows the same info. A LOT of bang for the buck.

Further implying you were flying a GPS approach with some kind of ILS guidance (apples and oranges ???) using approach plates from a portable GPS. Again a "certified CDI" is useless and is NOT the only thing required to be legal.

...back on topic...

I haven't ever used an s2 but I can tell you with the tab A I picked up last November I haven't had an issue reading it. it's definitely "glary" on a bright day but I can still see the map well enough. It's certainly not as bright as my EFIS screen but definitely usable.

The 8" is definitely big enough for our cockpit, I think anything bigger would be cumbersome for this purpose. (Though I sometimes wish it was bigger when used as an entertainment device out of the airplane)

For the mount I'm actually using one of the magnet mounts from soche. it has held well, including moderate turbulence and is convenient to pull off if I need to program data or want to remove it at the destination or bring it home. As I consider doing IFR training, my intention is to put one of the magnets on a velcro band to hold it on my leg kneeboard style as well if I want. being a magnet this would not work well if you have a compass and/or compass sensor near the mount area.

For the mount I'm actually using one of the magnet mounts from soche.

Do those magnets affect the tablet's gyro or other sensors? I use industrial velcro but it seems those would be helpful too if they don't affect anything. My plane is almost all aluminum, where do you stick those magnets on?

This makes more sense. Flying an ILS approach, not a "GPS (VFR) ILS approach..." as you previously stated and I still don't know what that means after many decades as a CFI-I, with the SL40 is legal.

All your previous posts in a thread about tablets and apps implied you were flying some kind of approach (still not clear based on your original comments) with your iFly app and it was legal because you were using a CDI, which still doesn't make much sense because the CDI isn't what makes it legal.

WAAS has nothing to do with an ILS and the GPS WAAS signal from a Lynx isn't for approaches, it's for the ADS-B

Further implying you were flying a GPS approach with some kind of ILS guidance (apples and oranges ???) using approach plates from a portable GPS. Again a "certified CDI" is useless and is NOT the only thing required to be legal.

I was on autopilot for lateral guidance for entire approach and was even able to select my transition from the iFly.

Do those magnets affect the tablet's gyro or other sensors? I use industrial velcro but it seems those would be helpful too if they don't affect anything. My plane is almost all aluminum, where do you stick those magnets on?

there's a piece of metal that sticks on to the back of your device with self stick tape, then the magnet mount gets stuck to wherever you want it with self stick tape; it's installed on the front of the panel on my install.

I have my MGL AHRS and compass sensor behind the panel maybe 4 inches from this mount. Installing this mount made the compass unusable, although it wasn't a great place for the install from the beginning; so I have plans to move it behind the baggage compartment during the next CI. However, I've noticed no degradation in performance of the AHRS, but plan to move that back as well as long as I'm running new wires. Interestingly my stand alone automotive compass I stuck on the glare-shield as required by my inspector doesn't seem to be largely affected by it...

there's a piece of metal that sticks on to the back of your device with self stick tape, then the magnet mount gets stuck to wherever you want it with self stick tape; it's installed on the front of the panel on my install.

I have my MGL AHRS and compass sensor behind the panel maybe 4 inches from this mount. Installing this mount made the compass unusable, although it wasn't a great place for the install from the beginning; so I have plans to move it behind the baggage compartment during the next CI. However, I've noticed no degradation in performance of the AHRS, but plan to move that back as well as long as I'm running new wires. Interestingly my stand alone automotive compass I stuck on the glare-shield as required by my inspector doesn't seem to be largely affected by it...

Thank you. I'll go research it more.

FWIW There is no such thing as a "certified" CDI or VOR/ILS receiver. These were developed and implemented decades before TSO standards existed. Just try to find the TSO of a VOR or CDI in airplanes with old radios, and don't try to claim there is some kind of "grandfather" clause since that doesn't exist. In order to legally use a VOR for IFR operation it only needs to pass the 14CFR 91.171 check.

You can do an ILS with the appropriate receiver while using a hand held GPS for "situational awareness". But you must have, and "use", a 91.171 checked receiver.

:cool:

Last edited:
I've been using Avare on my phones since their earliest days. A couple of years ago, I picked up a Galaxy Tab S2 (8"), and it has worked great. Never once had it overheat like I hear iPad/ForeFlight. I've messed with FltPlanGo a bit. It seems to be a little more feature-rich, but I didn't like the user interface. It's probably fine - I just didn't care to put in the effort to learn a new app.

Thank you. I'll check it out.

I use the IFLY as well. It works great. I run it on both my cell (Galaxy S9) and tablet (8" Galaxy Tab). I can share flight plans back and forth between the two devices, which is super handy. It works great with my Echo UAT ADSB as well.

I have had my tablet overheat once. I was flying with the sun at my back (and directly on the tablet), at 3k ft under the class B. Ground temps were over 100f. I had the tablet in the case, once I took it out it was fine. These days I have the Kroger sunshade, so it is not an issues. I still fly with it out of the case on warm days though...just in case.

I only wish it could drive the Skyview AP.

Thanks for the great replies.

I bought a Samsung Tab S2 SM-T713 and built a stratux ADS-B with AHAR. Using FltPlan Go. Amazing. They don't have the AHAR display yet for android but that's coming. They only have AHAR display for the iPad.

I "flight tested" in the car. Went by the big airport and I was able get traffic, NEXRAD Radar, Metar, TAF, Pirep....full meal deal. I was tracking +80 aircraft up to 32.7 miles out.

In my backyard I can still get traffic but no weather by ADS-B (off line). Connected to web you get full weather, notams, TFR, and flight planning and filing as well as all N America 48 ÷ (HI, AK) and Canada maps (sectional, tac, low ifr, jet, approaches, AF/D, airport diagrams...). You have all this available off line, but have to down load them. Super easy to do.

The power is amazing with a little learning curve, but I'm surprised how easy all this is to use.

Last edited:
I have Fltplan Go on my iPad and iPhone but don?t see it. Is it in some deep setting I haven?t found?
iPad only, as far as I recall. You can select it as an option when you are running the map view in split-screen mode. I don't recall the exact menu or button it's behind though... You'll have to poke around (i'm on Android).

As for it "coming soon" for Android... Don't hold your breath. Since Garmin acquired FltPlanGo, there has been no further feature enhancement.

Thanks for the great replies.

I bought a Samsung Tab S2 SM-T713 and built a stratux ADS-B with AHAR. Using FltPlan Go. Amazing. They don't have the AHAR display yet for android but that's coming. They only have AHAR display for the iPad.

I "flight tested" in the car. Went by the big airport and I was able get traffic, NEXRAD Radar, Metar, TAF, Pirep....full meal deal. I was tracking +80 aircraft up to 32.7 miles out.

In my backyard I can still get traffic but no weather by ADS-B (off line). Connected to web you get full weather, notams, TFR, and flight planning and filing as well as all N America 48 ÷ (HI, AK) and Canada maps (sectional, tac, low ifr, jet, approaches, AF/D, airport diagrams...). You have all this available off line, but have to down load them. Super easy to do.

The power is amazing with a little learning curve, but I'm surprised how easy all this is to use.

Just for grins, download and install the free Avare app. You can run it with FltPlanGo installed on your device. You may like the ADS-B rendering better and I think it has AHRS enabled. You can then decide which app you prefer.

https://apps4av.net/site/

Whichever you use, the capability of these inexpensive options is amazing.

Last edited:
Just for grins, download and install the free Avare app. You can run it with FltPlanGo installed on your device. You may like the ADS-B rendering better and I think it has AHRS enabled. You can then decide which app you prefer.

https://apps4av.net/site/

Whichever you use, the capability of these inexpensive options is amazing.

+1. I always think people should at least try Avare (or FltPlanGo) first since it's free. If you decide the user interface is a little too clunky or you want some of the "bells and whistles" of IFly, Garmin, etc you can always go to them later. but if you find Avare (or FltPlanGo) meets your needs, you save the subscription fee to get a few extra hours of avgas each year!

Last edited:
+1. I always think people should at least try Avare first since it's free. If you decide the user interface is a little too clunky or you want some of the "bells and whistles" of FltPlanGo, Garmin, etc you can always go to them later. but if you find Avare meets your needs, you save the subscription fee to get a few extra hours of avgas each year!
FWIW; FltPlanGo is also free and has been since the begining. No subscription is required so you also save for some extra flight hours every year.

;)

Last edited:
My mistake, I was thinking Ifly. yes, if FltPlnGo works for you and is free the same would apply.

Now I have to get back to making copper wire by fighting my hangar neighbor for the penny we found this weekend :D

iPad only, as far as I recall. You can select it as an option when you are running the map view in split-screen mode. I don't recall the exact menu or button it's behind though... You'll have to poke around (i'm on Android).

As for it "coming soon" for Android... Don't hold your breath. Since Garmin acquired FltPlanGo, there has been no further feature enhancement.

Of course as soon as you said it I remembered that FltPlan has a split screen which I hadn't used in ages. Thanks.

I am going to hold my breath and I'm turning blue until I get it. Ha ha. Yeah I hear you. I don't expect it either, but I'll probably transition to some other software. However AHAR not my main need. You can see AHAR on 192.168.10.1 address. I am 100% happy with Fltplan Go, but Garmin buying them does worry me a little. It's just a matter of learning the new App. I want to settle on something.

I am going to try Wing X since I can get a free year sub. Garmin Pilot is out due to proprietary ADSB bull. Same with Foreflight and Apple OS only bull. I don't mind paying for a Sub but forcing your hardware bothers me and iApple has po'ed me.

This NY guy owns a Apple laptop repair business. It does not take long to figure out what Apple is about. Apple is doing everything it can to stop him from repairing Apple books, and take customers to the cleaners on repairs and charges for a mother board when it's a cable.
https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

Last edited:
IMO you can't get better than a SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2. Get the 32Gb unit then add a 128Gb micro SD card and you will have more than enough memory. I have over 40hrs of music and just about every equipment/user manual for my airplane on it.

Any STRATUX unit will work great with the SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2 tablet running FltPlanGo. I have seen them on line as cheap as $70.

Galin, I know the GPS in the iPad isn't needed because it gets the GPS info with the ADS-B IN from Stratux (so the wifi only version works) but since I don't know about or use Android, is your Galaxy TAB S2 wifi only, or is it preferable to get one with the cellular system included?

I'm thinking about buying a Samsung TAB S2 to test it since they're about $60 now on eBay. I have an LG-LK430 I bought years ago to try Android but I never got it to work correctly so I gave up. Want to try again with something known to work and so I'm looking at the Samsung now.

Oh and now I see there's T710, T730, various models for the TAB S2 making it crazier to get the correct one, or will any of these work the same?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying a Samsung TAB S2 to test it since they're about $60 now on eBay. I have an LG-LK430 I bought years ago to try Android but I never got it to work correctly so I gave up. Want to try again with something known to work and so I'm looking at the Samsung now.

FWIW, at one time *all* Android devices had GPS built-in, not just the phones with A-GPS chips along with their cellular system. It is possible now to find Android tablets without GPS built-in, but it's still not the norm. The Tab S2 has a built-in GPS, but the GPS in the Stratux probably has a better view of the sky.

Oh and now I see there's T710, T730, various models for the TAB S2 making it crazier to get the correct one, or will any of these work the same?
I can't find anything online about a Tab S2 T730... Mine is an SM-T713.

I think this is where I saw the T730. Still look at how many T7xx there are. Either way I'm looking at a T713 right now and that's what you have so I guess it'll work.

Attachments

• 612E71BA-A79F-464B-BE83-4956250E18D9.jpeg
    612E71BA-A79F-464B-BE83-4956250E18D9.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 18B5F011-F1E1-4B6D-AFBA-37A35205E201.jpeg
    18B5F011-F1E1-4B6D-AFBA-37A35205E201.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 3A4D10BD-F354-4B86-B9B4-E22EEBEF0D3D.jpeg
    3A4D10BD-F354-4B86-B9B4-E22EEBEF0D3D.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 66
I just checked since I really had no clue which Samsung tablet I have... DOH!

Mine is an 8" S2, T713, 32GB, to which I've added a 128GB SD card where I store all chart data. This device runs FltPlanGO with zero hesitation. Mind you I run no other apps on it, no music, nothing. It's purely used for FltPlanGO. Its internal GPS is fantastic, acquires position inside the steel-clad hangar with the hangar doors closed. It has proven plenty bright in our cockpit. Overall I'm totally satisfied with this tablet.

I don't have it contained in any form of cover, nor do I have any form of screen protector on it. It lives a nice life in my flight bag or in its mount in the cockpit so extra protection for it doesn't seem to make much sense.

My only complaint with this tablet, and I think it's a fairly common complaint, is the X-Grip Ram mount sometimes will hit the power or volume buttons located on the right edge of the unit, causing the unit to boot into safe mode. This is more of a user error - this wouldn't happen if I located the rubber leg of the X-Grip in the right location.

I've noticed that most have 32gb and add the big SD card. I don't know anything about Android yet but I have on my iPhone ALL charts and options on FltPlan Go and WingX and look how much space those apps use. Just 12.62GB for FltPlan Go and 10.08GB for WingX.

Is Android inefficient at storing things? If that's all you're using it for, do you know how much storage you're actually using?

Attachments

• D085AD9A-8E8F-4069-BC5F-0304AB0383D8.png
    D085AD9A-8E8F-4069-BC5F-0304AB0383D8.png
    310.8 KB · Views: 62
I don't think FltPlan Go manages memory use very well, and doesn't completely delete old files.

It seems to continually grow with file updates until you uninstall and re-download everything.

I don't think FltPlan Go manages memory use very well, and doesn't completely delete old files.

It seems to continually grow with file updates until you uninstall and re-download everything.

You're right ! Wow, look at how much memory it had accumulated and was using since I installed it a couple years ago. I deleted it and downloaded it again then downloaded all USA maps, procedures, etc and it uses very little space.

Can't wait for someone with an Android tablet to check how much they're using.

Attachments

• 50BAF032-0911-48F8-9379-A53B9730A718.png
    50BAF032-0911-48F8-9379-A53B9730A718.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 93072B5C-12F2-4D72-958B-3F109F6510B0.png
    93072B5C-12F2-4D72-958B-3F109F6510B0.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 72
I've noticed that most have 32gb and add the big SD card. I don't know anything about Android yet but I have on my iPhone ALL charts and options on FltPlan Go and WingX and look how much space those apps use. Just 12.62GB for FltPlan Go and 10.08GB for WingX.
The Android tablets only come up to about 32GB in internal storage, and honestly, if you *only* use it for FltPlanGo, it's just fine.

But if you tend to "feature creep" and add all of your other convenient apps, and an e-reader (nice big screen there) and, and... You'll run out of that 32GB. On iOS you can buy a tablet with more internal storage, but you have to because there's no way to expand one.

I put a 256GB card in mine, because I found one on sale. I've got all of FltPlanGo, but i've also got a metric sh**-load of other apps, and a large collection of comics and e-books. The SD card is still not quite half-full.

Thanks. I have my iPhone for all the other apps, this tablet is going into the plane just for that and it won't come out except for maintenance.

FWIW I have the older T-713 tablet with a 128GB external SD card. All Samsung S4 tablets have built in GPS and WIFI so a celphone account is not needed. I don't have a cell phone account for my tablet since I have a WIFI HotSpot on my cellphone so why pay twice?

I also use FltPlanGo and it does more than I will ever need. Heck, after over 8yr I still don't use all its features and it is FREE!

FWIW I have the older T-713 tablet with a 128GB external SD card. All Samsung S4 tablets have built in GPS and WIFI so a celphone account is not needed. I don't have a cell phone account for my tablet since I have a WIFI HotSpot on my cellphone so why pay twice?

I also use FltPlanGo and it does more than I will ever need. Heck, after over 8yr I still don't use all its features and it is FREE!

OK, I called off the search party :D:D:D

You're right ! Wow, look at how much memory it had accumulated and was using since I installed it a couple years ago. I deleted it and downloaded it again then downloaded all USA maps, procedures, etc and it uses very little space.

Can't wait for someone with an Android tablet to check how much they're using.

I'm using a Nexus 9, which is an android. and Garmin pilot, and it says I'm using 10.27 GB. I deleted all other apps, as someone here on VAF, said, eventually, those apps would fill up all my space. Sounded logical to me.

I'm using a Nexus 9, which is an android. and Garmin pilot, and it says I'm using 10.27 GB. I deleted all other apps, as someone here on VAF, said, eventually, those apps would fill up all my space. Sounded logical to me.

Have you deleted Garmin Pilot to see how much it accumulated? I also deleted WingX just to check and it does the same thing!

You may be on to something. So after using Flt Plan Go for 6 months (with ADS-B traffic and weather) and loving it, I started having issues with the map Sectional overlay, with missing charts. So I would delete all charts and reload them. Kind of time consuming to down load all the sectionals. Then it would happen again. It was perfect until recently. I store all the maps on SD card. I think it is corrupt and needs to be reformatted and start over. I will give it a try... Thanks for advice.

Back